Tuesday, August 4, 2020

The Lounge

Home Forums WDSA Forum The Lounge

• Creator
    Topic
    onyadon
    Keymaster

The Lounge

I’ve decided to spruce up the web-site a wee bit (even with our new logo – any comments?). Another new feature is the single thread forum, so you can jump on and have your say, ask a question or just read what is being said. As I always say the forum is only as strong as what you make of it, so I would urge you to contribute and regularly to keep it all worthwhile. BTW, if you want to check something in the old forum it is now archived and the link is below… Okay let’s hear from you …

Looking for the old forum? You can view the read-only archived version here.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Adam Dodds.
Viewing 6 replies - 1,327 through 1,332 (of 1,420 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Windlesham Don
    Participant

One word: “Bottle”.

A little bit of pressure and this team crumbles, the old defensive failings return as well as the profligacy in front of goal.

The next two games against strugglers are vital, but sadly I feel the chances of us getting zero return are higher than of two wins.

The season is on the line now and if we don’t turn things around immediately then the club would have wasted our money before the ink is even dry on the loan paperwork…

Windlesham Don
    Participant

Condolences Devon, stuck in 75deg and missing the prospect of a glorious spring in Blighty (its only a ‘prospect’ as we’ve seen nothing of it yet!)

An interesting debate can be had regarding the new signing – should we have stuck with Azeez, or gone with the proven goalscorer? Ultimately NA will be judged on the performance of the new loanee and how he links up with Lyle Taylor (baby).

If we did not have a good chance of making the play-offs then it would have been a ‘no-brainer’, give Ade his chance without any pressure. But given our situation I feel it is the correct move to gamble and try to stick a few more chances in the old onion bag!

One thing is for sure, Akinfenwa’s last days on the Wimbledon payroll are upon us after his ‘brain freeze’ on Tuesday. It was such a stupid red card one has to wonder whether his suspension period will be spent eating his weight in Nando’s as supplied by a mystery Asian betting syndicate!

Three monster games on the spin now and these are ones where we need to prove that we can put ‘lesser’ sides away. Six points are a must, ideally more.

Morecambe are on their normal late season shocking run and we need to take no prisoners and return with the three points to end our winless run.

Three points tomorrow and ‘Dave’ in place for York next week and all will once again be well in the weird and wonderful world…

COYD!!

Devon Womble
    Participant

Greetings from my new home in North Carolina where it is 75F, glorious and sunny.
    NA’s new striker and his comment about having ‘Five Strikers’, was to me a veiled signal that Bayo will be gone at the end of the season. I suspect Bayo’s only field events from here on therefore will be if Elliot doesn’t recover quickly enough.
    So let me be the first to say farewell to the ‘Beast’. His reign was short and colourful and yet had an impact we as a club should always be grateful for.

So that leaves mystery player number two. Logic decrees this should be a defender, and/or a defender who can play up field a little… step up one of our most popular loanees from last year, ‘Dave’… or at least I hope so.
    Get him on board and even cynical me would be having a bet on the Dons snatching that seventh place from the six or seven other clubs who also have a fingerhold on it.
    As for Play-offs and going up or staying down… You know, in the dark recesses of my mind I kind of remember having a similar debate more than a few times when we ‘plough’ed our way through the old four divisions. If we go up, one thing is certain and that is a better standard of refereeing. Even a generous and forgiving look back at this season has the idiots we get in League Two culpable for several potentially lost points… We are therefore probably better than we think we are.
    Thus, if the belief keeps going we might actually fair pretty well in League One. We’d certainly be able to keep our best players rather than face the virtual guarantee of losing them in the forthcoming closed season and then having to face building a whole new team… with all the fraught adventure that has brought us these last couple of seasons.

onyadon
    Keymaster

No inside info but see Deji Oshilaja did not go back to Gillingham after the expiry of his loan… maybe Ards trying to land him. I reckon the other one is a striker, the way the gaffer was talking about the Tom Elliott ’50-50′ injury situation for this weekend. But he says they are both ‘established’ players and he’s reasonably upbeat about something happening by Tuesday, even a possibility of one coming in before this weekend, meaning today (Friday)… we’ll see….

Windlesham Don
    Participant

Looking like the manager is looking to bring in two by Tuesday – any guesses Rob, especially as one was on our list during the summer?

Cape Cod Womble
    Participant

Definitely fork in the road time guys. The Dons can summon up some type of resolve and fight on along the play-offs path or politely just go away as I’m sure a few teams around us would prefer. I was at the Accy game on Saturday and there was a distinct lack of quality about both team’s performances. I guess someone has to fill that last play-off berth on offer but the likely recipient didn’t look to be either of the teams on show at Kingsmeadow. I remarked to Liam Nolan that “honourable draws” aren’t going to get us to the post season. AFC need some more scrappy 1 nil victories or else this season will just that flirtatious jaunt manythought it was all along. A good test of NA’s talents from here on in.

Viewing 6 replies - 1,327 through 1,332 (of 1,420 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.