Sunday, August 2, 2020

The Lounge

Home Forums WDSA Forum The Lounge

• Creator
    Topic
    onyadon
    Keymaster

The Lounge

I’ve decided to spruce up the web-site a wee bit (even with our new logo – any comments?). Another new feature is the single thread forum, so you can jump on and have your say, ask a question or just read what is being said. As I always say the forum is only as strong as what you make of it, so I would urge you to contribute and regularly to keep it all worthwhile. BTW, if you want to check something in the old forum it is now archived and the link is below… Okay let’s hear from you …

Looking for the old forum? You can view the read-only archived version here.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Adam Dodds.
Viewing 6 replies - 1,351 through 1,356 (of 1,420 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    onyadon
    Keymaster

The way I look at the coming crunch.. if we’re good enough we won’t crash and burn against bogey teams Oxford, Northampton and Accy. If we do what we have done against them in past, we won’t be good enough, simple as. Still fair play to Ardley for getting the squad into position to have a decent crack at promotion. No doubt, the squad is much improved on last season.. how much improved we’ll know in the coming few weeks.

Colum
    Participant

Can we win against our bogey team? You’d have to say “No”, but if we could sneak a result….well that would be extra special considering what is at stake.

Colum
    Participant

51 points post Carlisle. Does that mean we’re safe from relegation?

Full credit to the lads. They were made to work hard for the win. If Carlisle had a Ryan Taylor in their ranks, we may have lost comfortably. Their shooting was pretty awful.

onyadon
    Keymaster

We sometimes whinge about the Dons being unlucky. It was the opposite against Carlisle. Wimbledon had a big break when their GK Gillespie was sent off just after HT for bringing down Tom Elliott. The reserve keeper Hanford’s first task was to face Taylor’s FK and Paul Robinson bundled home the rebound to put Dons ahead. But 10-man Carlisle made it a very uncomfortable night from that fortuitous incident and our back four (including 18yo Ryan Sweeney) and GK Roooooooos were the busier than their counterparts. Carlisle hit the woodwork twice and the Dons fans whistles at the end indicated the anxiety pervading KM. But it’s Wimbledon’s 7th win out of 8 games (laudable) and moves them up to 5th and inside the play-off spots. Next up is bogey team Oxford United at home, with the Dons chasing their 1st win over them in 12 attempts. Still, at the start of the season we would take a promotion challenge at this stage of the season and with a crucial clutch of games coming up to show our true mettle.

liamwimbo
    Participant

Another three points to keep the Dons bandwagon rolling along. Sounds like it was a scrappy game due to the conditions, but also a deserved win. And well done to the fans for making up such a large contingent of the crowd. Now comes the time that games start coming thick and fast. A healthy return from the next 3 games should see the Dons in a play off spot with  games in hand. The lack of cover at centre half is a bit of a concern, but Sweeney seems to have done well so far. Just need to avoid injuries and we should be in for an exciting finish to the season.

Colum
    Participant

Three points down. Just one to go after Barnet. All the talk of getting to the playoffs intrigues me. Yes we have a real chance. We’ve at least one game in hand over the teams above, and we are a team in form. If we get there, there is a good chance we could get promoted. Maybe it isn’t as good a chance as some others, but in these one off games anything could happen. If we get promoted, there is little doubt we would be a financial minnow in League One. To me it comes down to whether we’d like to get promoted, struggle, and get relegated, or just tread water for a couple of seasons. I know which one I’d go for.

Viewing 6 replies - 1,351 through 1,356 (of 1,420 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.