Tuesday, August 4, 2020

The Lounge

Home Forums WDSA Forum The Lounge

• Creator
    Topic
    onyadon
    Keymaster

The Lounge

I’ve decided to spruce up the web-site a wee bit (even with our new logo – any comments?). Another new feature is the single thread forum, so you can jump on and have your say, ask a question or just read what is being said. As I always say the forum is only as strong as what you make of it, so I would urge you to contribute and regularly to keep it all worthwhile. BTW, if you want to check something in the old forum it is now archived and the link is below… Okay let’s hear from you …

Looking for the old forum? You can view the read-only archived version here.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Adam Dodds.
Viewing 6 replies - 1,339 through 1,344 (of 1,420 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    MacWomble
    Participant

Because I don’t see the live games, it is hard for me to assess whether Bayo’s form has dropped because the style of the team’s play has adjusted. While the article dwells on the disadvantages of him being so big, there are of course disadvantages to other players maybe being less than big. I dunno – you need different types of physique in a team and different skills. Bayo seems to feed on media. All this @DaRealAkinfemwa nonsense (or whatever tag of hash he uses). And all this nonsense about playing in the States. There are plenty of teams stateside (most shit) and if you were willing to accept the salary, then I’m sure a place would be available. Maybe he should just hire a car and do a fly-drive holiday and get it out of his system. Alternatively, find an American partner, or do the Green Card Lottery or get to know The Donald. This is a results game. I also find it odd that the article suggested that the average thicko-with-alice-band in the Premier League would be jealous of his profile. I doubt that many of them care to make the news in Wandsworth. And even if they did, I doubt they would care for the salary difference. Bayo should have joined Leicester City three years ago. That’s ‘Lester’ to our American scouts, not Lie-sester.

Colum
    Participant

I don’t agree with everything the post says. Forth choice striker? I think not. He may be behind Elliott and Taylor, rightly so on their form, but that does him an injustice. He still is a very useful player, and in the right circumstances can add real value coming off the bench.

Part of my issue with the post is that it seems to judge him on his lack of goals. On that basis Tom Elliott is also performing badly, but I don’t see anyone saying that.

Colum
    Participant

I sit next to a Cobbler’s fan at work. COYDs. I need the bragging rights tomorrow!

Windlesham Don
    Participant

An interesting piece, full of valid talking points. I also feel that other factors are at play, the main one being that Bayo is a pale shadow of the player who dominated defences last term.

Why? Well IMO his head was turned in the summer, and failing to get a contract out in the States took away some of his motivation. I also think it affected his pre-season, as he has not showed the pace of last season. Also at his age he needs to play regularly and having not got up to pace early on, he has been overtaken by the other three talented strikers.

Finally, he is not the ‘main man’ anymore and he is also in the twilight of his career. Time catches up with all of us and when you are carrying as much bulk as Bayo then old father time can be a hard taskmaster.

I doubt that we will see Bayo after this season, but along with a vast majority of fans, I will be grateful for his contribution, both on and off the pitch.

Colum
    Participant

I think Neil Ardley got the subs wrong. He took Tom Elliott off and put on Frankcomb. Not sure what that was about. Elliott was may MOTM. He won everything that went his way. Frankcomb has been out of sorts of late, and giving the ball away the first three touches after coming on will do nothing to endear him with the fans. The interesting thing about this game was the quality of our dead ball delivery. Most were taken by Reeves, who consistently caused Oxford problems with his corners and free kicks. We’ve been lacking good quality in this area, especially by Frankcomb’s inability to beat the first man.

onyadon
    Keymaster

What are your thoughts on this perceptive piece about Bayo Akinfenwa?

http://www.robcrane.net/blog/the-taming-of-the-beast

Viewing 6 replies - 1,339 through 1,344 (of 1,420 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.