Tuesday, August 4, 2020

The Lounge

Home Forums WDSA Forum The Lounge

• Creator
    Topic
    onyadon
    Keymaster

The Lounge

I’ve decided to spruce up the web-site a wee bit (even with our new logo – any comments?). Another new feature is the single thread forum, so you can jump on and have your say, ask a question or just read what is being said. As I always say the forum is only as strong as what you make of it, so I would urge you to contribute and regularly to keep it all worthwhile. BTW, if you want to check something in the old forum it is now archived and the link is below… Okay let’s hear from you …

Looking for the old forum? You can view the read-only archived version here.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Adam Dodds.
Viewing 6 replies - 1,387 through 1,392 (of 1,420 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    onyadon
    Keymaster

And how important has the signing of Jon Meades been this season? His versatility is a big part of the team’s overall improvement and his ability to seamlessly switch from left-back to the midfield…. discuss….

Windlesham Don
    Participant

Yesterday was a great trip and a dominant performance. Meadow Lane is IMO the best ground in the league and with almost 700 away fans singing throughout the atmosphere was superb. The whole team were excellent (except perhaps Sean Rigg) with Elliott and Robinson outstanding – I never thought I’d hear the chant “We’ve got Tom Elliott”, but it was well deserved as he won everything in the air and scored a cracker to set the team on its way.

As has been pointed out, all of the players are now playing with confidence and expecting victory. The difference is extraordinary from a month ago and long may it continue.

There is no doubt that this squad is good enough to make it into the playoffs, they just need to keep believing, keep working and keep trusting each other.

If they do then the fans will continue to give fantastic support.

SydneyDon
    Participant

Surely the people suggesting that NA should be sacked if we don’t make the playoffs are joking?

Anyway, it would seem we are really coming on strong now and confidence is an amazing thing with sport, if we can keep this running then promotion is a real possibility.

I hear the arguments about it being too soon and I even hear the financial argument about the best result being a losing playoff final.

For mine though if we can we should go for promotion, to not shows a lack of ambition.

And if we did go up I reckon we have the nucleus of a side that, with half a dozen out and in, could well be competitive in League 1.

My main concern about promotion would be whether our supporters are ready for it because quite simply, just staying in League 1 whilst still at KM. Would NA’s reward for promotion be incessant bellyaching by our more entitled fans. Would we be able to accept a gallant relegation provided that we tried hard and came down stronger than when we went up?

I’m not sure we are…

SydneyDon
    Participant

The issue of being able to keep players is a good one to have provided they are under contract. If they want to stay that’s great, if not then we should get a fee.

At this level nobody is irreplaceable and one of NAs strengths is his recruitment. Plus I think we now have added depth and a junior pathway coming through.

Were we to get to the playoff finals that would, I believe, provide a significant cash windfall for the club (hundreds of thousands of pounds I believe). That would be very useful regardless of what league we are in next year. Part of me thinks that we will struggle in League 1 until we are at NPL but provided we are responsible cash-wise if we do go up (and Erik always is) then I don’t see a major downside apart from the expectations of supporters

Devon Womble
    Participant

Well aren’t we cooking with gas? For the first time since we got back into the league even cynical me is beginning to believe we could make the play-offs. The top three are way too good for us so I don’t expect automatic promotion, but there’s the rub… supposing we don’t win the play-offs? What chance of holding onto our best players for next season without the additional income a League One place would generate?
    Another debate perhaps.
    As for today’s game, although my viewpoint is only from the Dons Player, what struck me most was the feeling that the team have become convinced that they are going to win. In earlier games, opponents hitting the Dons woodwork would cause shoulders to sag, now those shoulders just shrug and carry on ever more determined. I am really looking forward to going to the Luton match in February.
    Finally, an observation about a player I think is overdue, the huge improvement by Osborne. I saw him play early season and he was wooden and seemingly disinterested; more often than not giving away a foul. In fact I slated him on this forum. His recent performances though have included several crucial last ditch, but perfectly timed interceptions. Definitely looking worth the fee at last.

Windlesham Don
    Participant

Connor Smith was a little under the radar – a goalscoring midfielder who has never scored a goal in league football… Oh well, back up for Bully and Reeves perhaps.

Viewing 6 replies - 1,387 through 1,392 (of 1,420 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.