The Lounge

Home Forums WDSA Forum The Lounge

This topic contains 1,166 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  onyadon 1 day, 19 hours ago.

• Creator
    Topic

onyadon
    Keymaster

The Lounge

I’ve decided to spruce up the web-site a wee bit (even with our new logo – any comments?). Another new feature is the single thread forum, so you can jump on and have your say, ask a question or just read what is being said. As I always say the forum is only as strong as what you make of it, so I would urge you to contribute and regularly to keep it all worthwhile. BTW, if you want to check something in the old forum it is now archived and the link is below… Okay let’s hear from you …

Looking for the old forum? You can view the read-only archived version here.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by  Adam Dodds.
Viewing 6 replies - 1,105 through 1,110 (of 1,166 total)
  • Author
    Replies

MacWomble
    Participant

I think we are currently four points better off than we were this time last season. And that is without Azeez and Akinfenwa truly firing. It was a 15th place finish last year, and last time I looked we were 10th and talking up the play-off chances. All somewhat unrealistic. If we did make the play-offs, then it is great experience for the players. But I’d hate to think of the shake-ups in management and team and finances that would be required if for some bizarre reason we ever got promoted. Are we ready for that? Anyway, that is silly talk – we are in a fantastic position, which is about as much as the pundits wished for at season’s start. Perhaps this is our most solid performing season since returning to the League? And all the Ardley-out talk has ebbed away for the mo. I think this is As Good as it Gets for the season. Perhaps we can offload Bayo to the Bayou: sell him to Beckham for his Miami franchise, to South Carolina Wednesday, AFC West Virginia or wherever, and get a wad of cash? Happy days folks!

Windlesham Don
    Participant

Agree that the new loanee will need to be a starter, Rob. As much as I want to give Ryan a run in the team, jumping straight in with 7 games in 3 weeks is IMO too much for a youngster, especially as there are some tough and important fixtures in the list.

Poor timing as well for both the management team and the DT board, as they would have spunked most of the remaining budget on Roos.

The question is whether the board will provide enough cash to pick up an experienced CB to see us into the playoffs, or whether the budget has run dry.

I’d like to see an experienced Championship or League 1 defender come in, as a couple of playoff ties would generate decent income. However, I’d understand if they decided not to take the risk.

It should be interesting to see who arrives…

onyadon
    Keymaster

Interesting how much Karleigh Osborne’s loss for the season (knee injury) will affect Wimbledon’s momentum heading into a crunch batch of matches which will play a large role in the team’s play-off chances. Pressure on 18-year-old Ryan Sweeney (virus permitting) to step up with Paul Robinson in the heart of the defence, while Neal Ardley scours the market for a central defender on loan and you would hope he would have more FL experience than Sweeney, otherwise what’s the point? Would dare say whoever Ardley brings in on loan will be crucial. If the Dons are to kick on from here then you would want to keep a settled and confident side. Barnet away on Saturday won’t be a gimme, so the attitude and commitment will have to up the mark ahead of very tough schedule of games.

Colum
    Participant

We have games in hand over most of those above as well. I just hope we don’t get any more games called off. We don’t want any further fixture congestion. Two league games a week will test our squad enough as it is.

Colum
    Participant

I’ll keep an eye out for you Liam. I hope you bring us some luck.

Francombe gets a fair bit of stick for his dead ball delivery. It is not a strong point in his game, but we don’t have anyone else who seems willing to take responsibility. Neil Ardley was singing his praises after the Luton game, which is a sure sign that the player had a shocker. To be fair to poor George, he was playing a slightly more central role, but the number of misplaced passes was approaching being embarrassing.

Windlesham Don
    Participant

A good win, but 4-1 probably flatters us. A couple of deflected goals and a couple of goals just after half time killed off a decidedly average Luton.

The loss of Osborne before the match was barely noticed after a confident performance from young Ryan Sweeney.

Interestingly the poor and cut up pitch did not seem to affect our game unduly. Indeed, our generally direct style of play may be quite suited to the pitches of the next few weeks after a heap of rain in the UK. Let’s hope so…

7 games in the next 3 weeks will test the depth of the squad, and there are some tough fixtures in those. Personally, I feel that we need a good start to the next run of games – at least 4 points from the trip to Barnet and the Tuesday game against Carlisle will put us in a good position for the toughies to come.

COYD!

Viewing 6 replies - 1,105 through 1,110 (of 1,166 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.