The Lounge

Home Forums WDSA Forum The Lounge

This topic contains 1,168 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Windlesham Don 3 hours, 6 minutes ago.

• Creator
    Topic

onyadon
    Keymaster

The Lounge

I’ve decided to spruce up the web-site a wee bit (even with our new logo – any comments?). Another new feature is the single thread forum, so you can jump on and have your say, ask a question or just read what is being said. As I always say the forum is only as strong as what you make of it, so I would urge you to contribute and regularly to keep it all worthwhile. BTW, if you want to check something in the old forum it is now archived and the link is below… Okay let’s hear from you …

Looking for the old forum? You can view the read-only archived version here.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by  Adam Dodds.
Viewing 6 replies - 937 through 942 (of 1,168 total)
  • Author
    Replies

martindownunderdon
    Participant

Looking forward to the day we can walk into our new ground our HOME. Thats the day I will be back in the UK for our first ever game. I’m also hoping we can have a good turnout from other downunderdons,how about it Rob a downunder trip.

Windlesham Don
    Participant

Exciting times, Singapore, and especially so for someone who lives so close to the ground. I trust you will post some pics as the stadium takes shape! ;o)

We recently moved into a new apartment and one of the pre-requisites when selecting our new home was access to a train station, as driving to NPL would be a long haul for me.

I can’t wait for the first time I hop on the train, pop into the Alex for a pre-match pint of Young’s and then walk down Alexandra Road and Gap Road until the new stadium comes into view. It almost brings a tear to the eye already…

Singapore Don
    Participant

As long as Wandsworth Council or the relevant Secretary of State don’t throw a spanner in the works with another call-in or judicial review move, then September 15th could be our clear cut day for celebration on the stadium plan. Merton Council’s Planning Committee meets that day, and a council spokeswoman has told media here: “It will be a meeting to progress on to the next stage. It will formally uphold the application and the scheme will go ahead.” Hold on to your hats for this last thrill in the roller coaster ride of our planning application! It is just so wonderfully exciting to be so close to realising our dream. Twenty-five years we’ve waited for this. I took my oldest boy to his first WFC game at Selhurst Park in 2000 (0-0 in the rain against Watford, somehow he stuck with it!); I told him then that our dream was to move back to Plough Lane where I watched the Dons as a boy, and a venue only a mile and a half from our house. And to think now that that dream is about to come true, that our local club will be local again…it’s just exhilarating. I’m crossing all fingers, toes and everything I can that Merton will deliver the final rubber stamp in just over three weeks’ time. Come on home you Dons!

liamwimbo
    Participant

Just heard the news. Very happy, but still a bit annoying that had to jump through so many hoops. Well done Erik!

Singapore Don
    Participant

In a statement released this morning, Mr Khan said: “I have taken the time to consult local residents, businesses and other interested parties and, having weighed up all of the evidence available to me, I’m confident the stadium and the leisure facility proposed alongside it will be of great benefit to Londoners and the wider community for generations to come.” It’s hard to see a successful challenge to that conclusion from Wandsworth Council or a Secretary of State. Let’s hope they suck it and get on to make this brilliant stadium plan work for everyone. So exciting!

Singapore Don
    Participant

Today is the most brilliant of days! What fantastic news about the stadium. The leader of Merton Council says they intend to stick by the consent granted in December last year: “the plan is now in safe hands”! The Dons really are coming home, I can’t believe it. Just down the road from me. A real local club again for my kids and me. I just hope Wandsworth Council don’t play dirty and seek a judicial review, or put pressure on the Secretary of State to call it in. It’s hard to see how either could work given that there has been another 14 day public consultation period and the Mayor and the GLA planning department have given their independent verdict. Got to stay positive and believe this is really it! Unbelievably happy!!

Viewing 6 replies - 937 through 942 (of 1,168 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.