The Lounge

Home Forums WDSA Forum The Lounge

This topic contains 1,168 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Windlesham Don 2 hours, 57 minutes ago.

• Creator
    Topic

onyadon
    Keymaster

The Lounge

I’ve decided to spruce up the web-site a wee bit (even with our new logo – any comments?). Another new feature is the single thread forum, so you can jump on and have your say, ask a question or just read what is being said. As I always say the forum is only as strong as what you make of it, so I would urge you to contribute and regularly to keep it all worthwhile. BTW, if you want to check something in the old forum it is now archived and the link is below… Okay let’s hear from you …

Looking for the old forum? You can view the read-only archived version here.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by  Adam Dodds.
Viewing 6 replies - 931 through 936 (of 1,168 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Singapore Don
    Participant

By Pollen I mean of course Poleon! Dominic Poleon, a name I’m sure we’ll hear time and again mentioned in despatches this season.

Singapore Don
    Participant

Just back from the U23s game against Wigan. Wow! We really do have some talent waiting in the first team wings. Pollen was the stand out player, with two excellent solo goals and two assists. His control, quick turns and breathtaking acceleration gave us a real threat up front, and he really does look a much better threat and striking prospect than Azeez: he has the same athleticism and power, but he is a much better footballer technically. His decision making and clinical finishing are far superior. Fitzpatrick was also a livewire and his two goals were also superbly taken.

It was great to see Meades and Francomb back. George looked rusty still, but put in some excellent crosses and ins’t far off being ready for a return to the first team if called upon. As for Meades…well, he has to start on Saturday without question. He was calm, confident, skilful, in control, he was just superb. He is a class above poor Kelly, and gives our back line a much more solid look. As for tonight’s defence, Nightingale had an ok game, but not outstanding. That accolade has to go to his fellow central back, young Paul Kalambayi, who was immense. Big, strong, powerful, confident, he didn’t put a foot wrong, and gives us a great Sweeney youth replacement to be ready to fill in for Robinson and Darius Charles (who was there tonight watching). I believe Kalambayi is only 16 or 17, but he played with outstanding maturity. The other one who really impressed my was 17 year old Toby Sibbick at right back. He’s very tall, but lanky so needs to fill out, but he was strong, read the game well, tackled well, outfought and outpaced the Wigan winger, and again played with real maturity and calmness. I thought he was superb.

My final standout player of the night was James Shea. He was loud, bossing the defence, screaming directions, completely commanding his box vocally and positionally, coming off his line often to great effect, dominating his box by taking all crosses – he was unrecognisable from the Shea of last season who lacked confidence. Shea tonight could be heard for ninety minutes shouting instructions and dominating the Dons defence; he was a real leader. In every aspect, he was head and shoulders above Clarke. I know it’s unlikely that Clarke will be dropped having kept a clean sheet against Northampton, but be reassured that we have an in-form, confident and very capable young keeper sitting on the bench ready to take his place.

Everyone else tonight played well – Beere and young Egan busied and frustrated Wigan in midfield, Oakley had a great header against the bar (but to me looks too slow to be a League One player).

All round, this was a great team performance, watched by Ardley, Cox, Bassey and Bayes – giving them some selection headaches I would have thought for the visit to Rochdale on Saturday. It was performance to leave the small crowd at KM happy and confident that we have real talent waiting in our Dons wings….

Windlesham Don
    Participant

It would be great to see a whole bunch of you guys over for the first match at NPL. It will take a bit of organising though, as knowing our construction industry the completion and opening date will probably be set in blancmange!!

Hopefully the completion date will be in the summer, with a few PSFs to iron out issues before a first competitive match as the first game of a new season. Much easier for you guys to arrange flights and holidays if this is the case…

Exciting times…

martindownunderdon
    Participant

I’m sure I will be Rob also my son and i know of two other Dons in Perth who get on wdon from time to time, so i will see if they will make the trip as well

onyadon
    Keymaster

onyadon
    Keymaster

Martin – we have been talking about a group of Aussie-NZ based WDSA members aiming to be at the first game at Plough Lane. It was first raised when Merton Council approved the plan back in March only for Boris Johnson to scuttle it. Once the application is finally passed by Merton hopefully sometime in September then I think we can step up our planning. You’re most welcome to be a part of it Martin….

Viewing 6 replies - 931 through 936 (of 1,168 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.