The Lounge

Home Forums WDSA Forum The Lounge

This topic contains 1,206 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Wimbledon_rumours 4 days, 6 hours ago.

• Creator
    Topic

onyadon
    Keymaster

The Lounge

I’ve decided to spruce up the web-site a wee bit (even with our new logo – any comments?). Another new feature is the single thread forum, so you can jump on and have your say, ask a question or just read what is being said. As I always say the forum is only as strong as what you make of it, so I would urge you to contribute and regularly to keep it all worthwhile. BTW, if you want to check something in the old forum it is now archived and the link is below… Okay let’s hear from you …

Looking for the old forum? You can view the read-only archived version here.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by  Adam Dodds.
Viewing 6 replies - 931 through 936 (of 1,206 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Windlesham Don
    Participant

Likewise Liam, Singapore, I will be in the middle bar or outside (whether permitting from around 14:00). I’m a mid-50s scrawny mess and I’ll be wearing my ‘lucky’ green away top! I’ll also be with a similar aged ‘portly’ guy who is my guest for the day. I’ll keep an eye out for an Aussie carrying a big flag and a guy in a blue and yellow wig! ;o)

It would be good to meet you both.

As for today, I see it as a ‘must not lose’ match. I thought that Tuesday was a morale boosting performance and victory, and I am hopeful that NA is starting to get to grips with the new league.

However, Chesterfield have some decent players, not least of which is the lowlife Ched ‘is he a rapist or just a horrible piece of work’ Evans. Sadly he is liable to give Darius and Robbo a very hard time up front. A Grimsby supporting mate has also been raving about midfielder Jon Nolan, who was snapped up by Chesterfield at the end of last season.

I will be happy if we are mistake-free at the back and do not waste any golden opportunities at the other end. I feel it is an important day for Lyle Taylor, who should be feeling pressure from Dom Poleon. He needs to look more interested and to start finding the net now his want-away ambitions have been thwarted for at least 4 months.

As someone else posted, NA is notoriously conservative with his changes, but I hope that if things are not going well at half time he is not afraid to stick on Parrett, Poleon and Barnett.

1-1 for me, hopefully with further signs of progress.

COYD!!

Singapore Don
    Participant

Here’s hoping for a happy three points Saturday. It’s going to be another tough one, but I’m hoping we can reverse our previous two home score lines of 1-2 in our favour. Poleon to score!

Liamwimbo, take your brolly this afternoon, it’s going to rain during the match! It would be good to say hello before the game, always good to put faces to names. Likewise Windlesham. If you’re on for a g’day/howdy, just say, and we could do so however briefly before to game. I get there around 2.20. Enjoy the game!

liamwimbo
    Participant

Lovely sunny morning here in my part of London. Forecast top of 20C with cloudy conditions, so good for football on my first trip to the Meadow of Kings this season. I was quietly confident of a win last week and we got as close to 3 points as possible. Hopefully two away draws will have built some confidence into the squad. Poleon seems to have done enough to warrant a place on the bench, with a second half appearance likely. We certainly need to start scoring some goals. I am bringing the WDSA banner to the game – maybe that will inspire the Dons to three points!

MacWomble
    Participant

We are setting this game up nicely. Lots of posts on Parrett and Poleon. But to be honest (shame, shame, repent, repent) I had not especially focused on these players before one of them hits in a brace against (by all accounts) a woeful swans U21 team playing in front of six loyals and a dog. Why does this make Poleon such a commodity? Anyway, clearly these two are knocking at the door of the big-time fitba and the meadow. Good luck to them. But from what I have seen of The Gaffer (groan, it’s the 1940s Boys Own square ball, left peg, gaffer wasn’t happy-fest) he is usually a teensy bit risk averse. Personally I think Chesterfield are for the taking. They have started well, but not well enough to travel away to face a team where the rhetoric is all about how bad we’ve been so far and how jolly hard we are working to get back into winning ways; team spirit great; gaffer’s ethos great; fans great; know wot we ‘ave to do, er… great. What chance could Chesterfield stand against this momentum? I think, just think, that maybe football is coming home this weekend. I predict a 2-1 win to the Dons, hot off my correct 1-1 tip last weekend. But the problem comes in that even this educated forum is setting up Parrett/Poleon as possible barbs if the Dons lose or give away a lead to draw. “Oh no. we lost again! How could The Gaffer play w/o introducing Poleon? Sack the Gaffer! The Gaffer must Go!”. Anyway, it was agreed that ten games was a suitable time to wait until making any bold predictions, so we have a way to go. The Spireites just don’t stand a chance. We will not leave until we see the burning embers of their loss! (I had not realized that Chesterfield had a crooked spire).

onyadon
    Keymaster

Some thoughts on the transfer day deadline (well, two days later) of defender Chris Robertson from Raith Rovers. Robertson not eligible for the Chesterfield game as he awaits an ‘international’ clearance.

onyadon
    Keymaster

Even in Chesterfield’s championship season in League 2 in 2013-14 the Dons held the Spireites to a 1-1 draw at KM and beat them at home in the previous season. Past meetings show that Wimbledon’s best chance of getting points against Chesterfield is at home, so if the Dons can continue their recent improvement they are a chance of getting something out of Saturday’s game. Despite the agony of the injury-time equaliser at Rochdale last week, the fact is that the Dons were heading to their first L1 win until the 95th minute. So that in itself is encouraging, if not with the Ryan Clarke’s goalkeeping error in punching Dale’s corner into his net. Fans will be expecting the Dons to take the game to Chesterfield, who have drawn at Oxford and lost to Shrewsbury Town in both their away trips so far this season. The longer the Dons stay without a win the more the gloom merchants will predict all manner of doomsday scenarios ahead. The only way is up for the Dons and hopefully Neal Ardley will get his side to play with attacking intent. Maybe it might be time for more game time for midfielder Dean Parrett and striker Dom Poleon after their recent strong showings in development/Cup games. Ardley might not regard cramped Kingsmeadow as a fortress, but the Dons will need to profit from their ‘home advantage’ in what is shaping as a tough first season in L1.

Viewing 6 replies - 931 through 936 (of 1,206 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.