The Lounge

Home Forums WDSA Forum The Lounge

This topic contains 1,206 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Wimbledon_rumours 4 days, 5 hours ago.

• Creator
    Topic

onyadon
    Keymaster

The Lounge

I’ve decided to spruce up the web-site a wee bit (even with our new logo – any comments?). Another new feature is the single thread forum, so you can jump on and have your say, ask a question or just read what is being said. As I always say the forum is only as strong as what you make of it, so I would urge you to contribute and regularly to keep it all worthwhile. BTW, if you want to check something in the old forum it is now archived and the link is below… Okay let’s hear from you …

Looking for the old forum? You can view the read-only archived version here.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by  Adam Dodds.
Viewing 6 replies - 901 through 906 (of 1,206 total)
  • Author
    Replies

martindownunderdon
    Participant

Well that was a bit of a surprise was hoping for a draw but I’ll take that win. As Rob said i think our diffence looks past it and with out Shea’s 3 or 4 great saves we would have been dead and buried by half time. Next few games which on paper we look like we should win will show if we are a middle of the road team or a team that is going to be in a battle to stay up. So come on Dons lets build on this great win.

onyadon
    Keymaster

Couple of things watching the Charlton game on Dons Player..

Firstly, great to see James Shea respond so positively to his chance by pulling off some great saves to keep the Dons in the game. Also I’m a bit curious why Neal Ardley decided to promote Shea just two weeks after saying of Ryan Clarke:”We’re going to stick by Ryan Clarke and try to make him better. I wish the fans would give him that opportunity too.” That does raise some questions about what happened in the intervening period to change the gaffer’s mind. We’re just eight games into the season (glad to see you are counting them down MacWomble!!) and Shea is going to face some challenges ahead. Let’s hope he can continue with this form, and it’s not just a one-off. I could not but notice how all at sea Darius Charles looked (particularly in the first half) and error-prone in recent games. Quite possibly, Charles might be out of his depth in L1, while Paul Robinson and Barry Fuller are being exposed by their lack of pace at this level. Clarke might not be the only one to be given a spell on the sidelines by Ardley. But it was great (and rousing) to see the Dons, with subs Elliott and Barnett on, take the game to the Addicks in the second half. Poleon’s goal was a cracker and he seems to be getting better with each game, while Barnett’s header off Fuller’s cross was terrific. Two real quality goals that make you think that Wimbledon might actually prove to be competitive in League 1. Two wins, two draws in the last 5 games.. maybe the Dons are slowly getting to grips with this league.

Colum
    Participant

A bad start to a season? We’ve been there before. Last season in fact, and look how that ended!

I was intending to go to the Valley to catch up with some Charlton friends of mine, but my wife booked a last minute holiday and a week in the sun took precedence. I’ve just watched the videos posted on the website and you have to say what a great turnaround it was. At half time we hadn’t had a single shot on target to Charlton’s 6. The fact that we went in only 1-0 down is down largely to a superb performance from James Shea. It was obvious after the game that he was buzzing, and rightly so. He made three really good saves low down both his left and right. I’m really pleased from him.

Just a quick word on Mr Ardley. He made a point on praising his players, particularly Shea, Poleon, and Barnett. Rightly so. But perhaps he should also take some credit. In recent games he has not been afraid to gamble a little, something he often accused of being reluctant to do in the past. Yesterday we ended up with not three up front, but four! Charlton simply didn’t know how to react, and once we were level there was only going to be one winner.

I also think his delay in naming the team was a masterstroke. He obviously was considering a change in goal, as well as who to start up front. By delaying the decision, he kept everyone on tenterhooks resulting in a hunger to win. It may also have had the effect of reducing the period of any morbid players disappointed at being dropped. Well done Neil.

So on to Shrewsbury. I’ll have our first back to back win of the season, and a clean sheet please. That would be another massive step towards League One survival. My Charlton friends seem convinced that we’ll both be in League One next season. I hope so to, and on the evidence of the last few weeks, you’d have to say they are right.

Windlesham Don
    Participant

Thanks for the summary guys, especially Singapore Don for a great insight! I boarded a plane in Greece when we were 1-0 down at HT and resigned to defeat, and arrived at Heathrow to receive 9 text messages with the good news!

It looks like George Francomb has sustained a nasty injury and maybe there is a chance for NA to incorporate Parrett into the line up?

Interested to know whether Shea had many crosses to take under pressure? Personally I am unconvinced with his ability under pressure under the high ball, but the defence may have lost confidence in Clarke. Curious that NA should publicly back Clarke one week, only to drop him the next without explanation. For me, the goalkeeping situation is a major worry, with no opportunity to get a loanee in until Christmas.

Saturday now provides a major opportunity against a team liable to be at the wrong end of the table come the end of the season. We have had a tough start against some good teams, we now need to show that we can pick up points against those liable to struggle…

MacWomble
    Participant

Yes, a great match report from the city of the Merlion. Fantastic to see that young Poleon is seizing this opportunity with gusto and skill. And again the football Gods are playing with us! As we near the mythologized 10 game mark, in which we expect to have a firm opinion of where the season is headed, this recent result will likely ensure that after 10 games we still are clueless and unable to say much more than that there has been an overall improvement. The next review period will then be set for Xmas. And so it goes on until season’s end. So, it is good news for us that the defence is starting to improve and that Poleon is covering the gap until LBT finds his boots. Now, I also know that we all tend to get a bit exciteable around the time of the MK Dons fixture, and lots of harsh adjectives get thrown about. But take a look at what is happening up North. Another draw, no home wins and another disappointing result in the lower leagues for Mr Robinson. There must surely be a small panic starting at Roundabout HQ? Maybe this panic will overcome the sea wall on 10 Dec when we travel north with Captain Ardley. Something to work towards.

Devon Womble
    Participant

The best match report I’ve read actually Singapore. Thank you.
    LTB did indeed sound anonymous on Radio WDON, and Shea was, I think, many people’s MotM. Hopefully there will be no more nonsense with Clarke, of whom, sadly I doubt we will get our money back.
    I will confess that I was with the ‘lament’ crowd for much of the game, after all, haven’t we already given more than our quota of concessions to the opposition this season?
    What frustrates me is that as soon as we go 4-3-3 or even 4-2-4 as I think we ended up with today, we play like a different team. If this 70th minute tactic is one NA likes to play… then perhaps he might like to try playing it from the 1st minute and stop making it so damn hard for the players and supporters!

Viewing 6 replies - 901 through 906 (of 1,206 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.