The Lounge

Home Forums WDSA Forum The Lounge

This topic contains 1,168 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Windlesham Don 2 hours, 28 minutes ago.

• Creator
    Topic

onyadon
    Keymaster

The Lounge

I’ve decided to spruce up the web-site a wee bit (even with our new logo – any comments?). Another new feature is the single thread forum, so you can jump on and have your say, ask a question or just read what is being said. As I always say the forum is only as strong as what you make of it, so I would urge you to contribute and regularly to keep it all worthwhile. BTW, if you want to check something in the old forum it is now archived and the link is below… Okay let’s hear from you …

Looking for the old forum? You can view the read-only archived version here.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by  Adam Dodds.
Viewing 6 replies - 901 through 906 (of 1,168 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Windlesham Don
    Participant

I attended last night’s match, which had the atmosphere of a PSF. I don’t support the competition, but I felt that after our start to the season the team needed some backing. I was also interested to see how the fringe players performed.

The first thing to mention is that if all Premier League youth teams are going to treat the trophy with similar dis-interest to that shown by Swansea, then the competition will die a death without any fan protests. Frankly, they were woeful. Occasional nice tippy-tappy passing in midfield, but soft at the back and toothless up front.

On the other hand we were excellent. All the fringe players put in performances which will have the management team taking notice. Most eye catching were Poleon and Parrett, who could both legitimately be knocking on the manager’s door before Saturday.

Clarke had little to do, but what he did he did professionally and calmly – 1 goal conceded in 3 matches now. Will Nightingale was as solid as ever, and it certainly would not be a worry if he needed to step up to the first XI for a spell. Francomb played 90 minutes at right full back and looked to be back to full fitness. Parrett was once again solid, and a more attacking option than Bully in the heart of midfield – I do feel that he deserves a starting place, but where to play him is still the conundrum! Beere also showed that he has a good engine and can also do a job in the first XI if required. Up top, I was pleasantly surprised with Tyrone Barnett – I was expecting him to be slightly dis-interested, but he also put himself about and gave the Swansea centre backs a hard time, much as Tom Elliott has been doing for the first XI. Standout however, was Dom Poleon, who looks to have real quality and an eye for goal. He only missed a hat-trick when a fizzing 20 yard strike went slightly too high. He has pace and strength and I am hoping that Lyle Taylor watched him closely, as this performance should be a kick up the backside to our newly contracted but mis-firing star striker!

Overall, it would be an irony if the competition which we have campaigned against since the start, were to kick start our season! I doubt that NA will change the starting line up for Saturday, but I would hope that if things are not going well at half time then he will have the courage to introduce the likes of Parrett, Poleon and Barnett sooner rather than later.

onyadon
    Keymaster

Lyle Taylor Baby signs an extended contract.. time for speculation on his future to end and some goals to start going in …

Colum
    Participant

Another two goals from Mr Poleon and £10k prize money into our coffers. A good night’s work from the B squad, and a few selection problems for NA come Saturday. Will Poleon play instead of Taylor? Probably not, and I think it may be the right decision. Now that any uncertainty over his future is out of the way, I’d give Lyle Taylor Baby a couple of runs out to see how he reacts.

As for the talk about Clarke versus Shea, I think our options are depleted. It is obvious what signal Clarke’s signing said about NA’s opinion of Shea. If Clarke doesn’t work out, there is no plan B apart from buy someone in. Can we afford another wage, especially as Clarke is presumably on a fairly high wage?

Singapore Don
    Participant

Devon, I didn’t get that impression from the LTB interview. Yes, he may have been hoping for a big move, but it didn’t happen and he seems genuinely happy to have signed a new contract. He clearly gets the club ethos and history and knows he can write himself a place in that history. He’s obviously ambitious and would like to play at a higher level, but I think he’s accepted he’s now got to knuckle down and prove himself as the real deal League One striker – rather than a League Two hitman. I’m hoping this contract will clear the air and allow him to get his mojo back with a decent goal tally in the games ahead. His interview makes me think he’s ready to get down to business.

Devon Womble
    Participant

Good to see LTB re-signing, but, one has to question the rather downbeat interview he gave after signing up; clearly he was hoping for something bigger elsewhere. Thus, I somehow just don’t see him being the striker he was last season… at least not until he comes to terms with being served the reality check of being back at Wimbledon for a while longer… if indeed he ever does.
    NA was also rather mundane too. Perhaps his open comment about how good strikers are rarely available, hints at a sacrifice he may have had to make on his plans for another defender. Who knows?
    Time will tell if, whatever arm or leg we had to mortgage to keep LTB, pays off.

Singapore Don
    Participant

There are three days until the loan window closes. Ardley has said he’s trying to get in another centre back to replace Sweeney. Fair enough. But should we be strengthening elsewhere? Clearly there are big question marks over Ryan Clarke – should we be looking to bring in a keeper on loan? Or stick with Clarke/Shea and perhaps reassess in the January window? Clarke was a minute away from having kept two clean sheets, so perhaps is finding his feet (or gloves); but there’s no doubt he’s still not helping confidence in the team at the moment, let alone on the terraces.

The other department that is not working properly is our forward line. Elliott has been putting in some great performances, looking very strong and threatening, but so far no goals. LTB is a shadow of the top marksman from last season; his fitness looks questionable, as does perhaps his commitment to the cause. Has he been found out in League One?? Personally, I don’t think we should be looking to loans for trying to fix this lack of goals problem. I’m a big fan of Dominic Poleon, who was firing on all cylinders last Tuesday scoring two and providing two assists. I would start him alongside Elliott. He’s in form, and we’ve got to try something different. Even young Olusunya, with his amazing speed and power, might work as a last 15 minute impact. Whoever Ardley goes for, there are options, so no need for a loan striker in my view.

Ardley said after the Rochdale that he does’t want the team turning on anyone (big hint I think to mean Clarke), and he wants to build that team spirit that saw us all the way to Wembley last season, so I think beyond the centre back it’s unlikely we’ll see any other loans. But should we?

Viewing 6 replies - 901 through 906 (of 1,168 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.