The Lounge

Home Forums WDSA Forum The Lounge

This topic contains 1,206 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Wimbledon_rumours 4 days, 7 hours ago.

• Creator
    Topic

onyadon
    Keymaster

The Lounge

I’ve decided to spruce up the web-site a wee bit (even with our new logo – any comments?). Another new feature is the single thread forum, so you can jump on and have your say, ask a question or just read what is being said. As I always say the forum is only as strong as what you make of it, so I would urge you to contribute and regularly to keep it all worthwhile. BTW, if you want to check something in the old forum it is now archived and the link is below… Okay let’s hear from you …

Looking for the old forum? You can view the read-only archived version here.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by  Adam Dodds.
Viewing 6 replies - 847 through 852 (of 1,206 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Colum
    Participant

There’ll be no nostalgic return to Merstham for those imfamous cheese sandwiches. At least not until the second round if we both get through. They’ve got a difficult task against Oxford, but with home advantage, who knows. For a club like them, home advantage counts for a lot.

For us it is an away trip to Bury twice in a little under three weeks. Another tricky game for both teams, but home advantage is less of an issue. I’d fancy us to get something from the league game. We’ve got a few niggles, but they’ve got suspended players as well. I’m less optimistic of the cup game. Perhaps we could get an unexpected winter spell, bad enough to postpone a few games, that lasts until the week before the 1st round. That way, they’ll still be suspended.

onyadon
    Keymaster

This from the Racing Post on the Wimbledon Greyhound Stadium, note the dates …

Racing Post:

THE axe has finally fallen on Wimbledon stadium as staff and trainers were informed in writing on Saturday that the final meeting at the track will take place on Saturday, March 25.

The news comes after any hopes of saving greyhound racing at Plough Lane were effectively ended last month. Sajid Javid, the secretary of state for Communities and Local Government, rejected a request by Wandsworth council to call-in the neighbouring Merton council planning decision to approve a new football stadium and intensive housing development on the site.

His decision left the door open for site owners Galliard Homes to move forward with development plans which include a new stadium for League One side AFC Wimbledon but do not include greyhound racing. The track first opened its doors on May 19, 1928 but will officially be locked up on April 14 next year.

Racing manager Gary Matthews said: “It’s a blow to see it in black and white even if we all knew it was coming. Now we know when our final meeting is set to be, even though everything remains dependent on us retaining a kennel strength to keep us going.”

Wimbledon is currently racing twice a week, on Thursdays and Saturdays, but will revert to just Saturday nights once Thursday RPGTV commitments cease on November 3.

onyadon
    Keymaster

From the (limited) look at the match highlights Swindon Town looked a decent passing side and therein lies the challenge for AFC Wimbledon this season. Swindon are 20th and the Dons are 12th – just four points above the Robins. It just shows (yet again) what a tightly-congested league this is and how every game is a challenge. The Dons are unbeaten in last six games, nine in their last 10, so they are going along okay. As I’ve said earlier let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves in this league. I was aghast when I saw a recent local newspaper headline: “….Dons just two points off play-off places.” Let’s just keep working away, hopefully pick up points, forget about talk of the play-offs, survival is the main immediate target here. There is a long way to go this season….
    I was also impressed with the form of Jake Reeves from what I saw in the Swindon highlights. He was my MoM in the Oxford game I saw on TV and he seems to be adjusting well to this higher level.

liamwimbo
    Participant

Obviously the timing on my crystal ball is one week out. The dull, boring 0-0 draw I predicted at Oxford turned out to Saturday’s game!
    Most people don’t seem too upset by the result. The unbeaten run continues, a clean sheet and still above the scum. So a few positives despite the disappointment of not getting all 3 points.
    Just a thought – are the team better playing away from home than at KM? That was certainly the case a couple of years ago.
    COYDs.

Colum
    Participant

I’ve been to the last couple Wimbledon Minithons. It is very evident that the organisation has gone up several notches in recent years. What was originally an event for a few adults in a park, now involves the entirety of the teams playing under the AFC Wimbledon name. Boys and girls, it is a wonderful sight seeing several hundred people attending. It was held at the club’s training ground as well, which offered much better facilities.

As for the main race itself, there were a few surprises.

1. The heavy overnight rain stopped just in time for the start.
    2. Over 180 were registered for the event. Up on last year
    3. Jason Moriarty didn’t win, although he did lap me about half way around the third lap!
    4. I managed to beat Ashley Bayes.

There is just one minor complaint. As there is a staggered start for the different age categories, can you please prevent the younger members walking around stuffing their faces with slices of purchased chocolate cake, just as we were all lining up to race!

Great event. Great run. Well done to everyone involved.

Windlesham Don
    Participant

After a terrific couple of weeks there was always the chance of an “after the Lord Mayor’s show” performance and we duly got it yesterday. Swindon reminded me of Walsall from the first day of the season – neat and tidy in midfield and happy to pass the ball out from the back. I guess it shows how far we have come since the start of the season that we are disappointed with a point against this calibre of team.

IMO the match perhaps highlighted a problem of playing 4-3-3/4-5-1 against a decent passing team. As we were defending for long periods in midfield, Barch and LTB had to do a lot of defensive work. This meant that they struggled to be effective going forward and Elliott became a little isolated. Interesting that when Poleon and Whelpdale came on for Barch and LTB our performance and shape deteriorated. Poleon isn’t a natural defender and Whelpdale looked lost having been out for a while. Kudos to Barch and LTB that they have committed wholeheartedly to their defensive duties.

I had a great view of the penalty. Tom got to a 50/50 ball first and nicked it past the onrushing defender. As seems to happen in the modern game, Tom simply left his foot there and awaited the contact before going down. It happens all the time these days: happy to get it, pi**ed off to concede it, ‘clever’ play but not a dive IMO. LTB’s kick wasn’t bad, but the keeper guessed correctly and made a good save. Personally, I’d like to see more pens drilled down the middle, as these are very rarely saved.

Interesting that the MotM was awarded to James Shea, despite having virtually nothing to do all afternoon. Looks like the match sponsoring Nerdfighters still have a little to learn about the game, as Meades, Reeves and Elliott all had decent games.

On to Bury on Tuesday and what promises to be a difficult trip against a decent side. Fortunately they had two players sent off yesterday and so could be understrength, but if we return with anything it should be considered a positive result.

COYD!

Viewing 6 replies - 847 through 852 (of 1,206 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.