The Lounge

Home Forums WDSA Forum The Lounge

This topic contains 1,168 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Windlesham Don 3 hours, 28 minutes ago.

• Creator
    Topic

onyadon
    Keymaster

The Lounge

I’ve decided to spruce up the web-site a wee bit (even with our new logo – any comments?). Another new feature is the single thread forum, so you can jump on and have your say, ask a question or just read what is being said. As I always say the forum is only as strong as what you make of it, so I would urge you to contribute and regularly to keep it all worthwhile. BTW, if you want to check something in the old forum it is now archived and the link is below… Okay let’s hear from you …

Looking for the old forum? You can view the read-only archived version here.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by  Adam Dodds.
Viewing 6 replies - 847 through 852 (of 1,168 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Windlesham Don
    Participant

Yep, I think this is finally it my Antipodean friends. You may not be able to book your flights over yet, but you can certainly start saving for them…

The Dons are coming home!!! :o)

Colum
    Participant

Woohoo!

http://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/great-news-for-stadium-bid-3331916.aspx

Maybe – just maybe – we can start to believe that we’ll have a stadium back where we belong. There is no mention of an appeal process, so I expect there isn’t one and the Minister’s decision is final.

Now if we can only put the icing on the cake with three points tomorrow.

Colum
    Participant

Do you know what? I was at KM yesterday and camne away echoing most of what others have said about the game. Having watched the highlights though, I’ve changed my mind.

Yes Shrewsbury were woeful, especially in the first 45, but they came out in the second half with a point to prove. Ardley had warned the players this was the case, but we didn’t deal with it. In the end a draw was a fair result.

Even in the first half they looked fairly lively up front. Toney was their best outlet, but his two petulant bookings put an early end to his afternoon. He could have gone earlier than that, as his dissent after his first booking could on another day have been followed by another. As the second half wore on, he became a distant figure, ending is his late challenge in Shea.

Elsewhere there were lots of positives. A well worked corner routine bringing our goal, Elliott was largely unplayable up front, and a good defensive display. Their goal was unfortunate, although their player should not have been allowed the freedom of the midfield before shooting.

I’ve also changed my mind about the referee’s decisions. Perhaps Elliott could have got a penalty – I definitely thought so at the time – but I can see now why the ref didn’t give it. In all I think the ref had a fair, if not outstanding, game. It was made difficult by a very negative Shrewsbury side.

Nine points out of nine games is not a bad return, especially considering the opposition to date. It adds more importance to getting three points on Wednesday though.

martindownunderdon
    Participant

Just watch the highlights and what I saw Shrewsbury had more of the play, was our play so bad that they cut it all out.Yes its 2 points lost we should have put them under more pressure in the firsthalf and put the game out of there reach,but we are still learning and i think we will get there.Now for Coventry on Wednesday by all accounts they played well at Gillingham so if you think it will be a walk over think again.1-0 to Coventry.

Windlesham Don
    Participant

After last week’s fantastic smash and grab victory at Charlton, a poor performance was to be expected and the team didn’t disappoint, by being disappointing (if you see what I mean).

Personally I don’t think the players were helped by the formation NA employed. I had been hoping that we would try a 4-3-3 with Bulman, Reeves and Parrett together in centre mid and Elliott flanked by Taylor and Poleon up top, but my nagging doubts about it (the wide men not getting close enough to Elliott up top and struggling to defend the wide midfield areas) duly came to pass. Having seen it in action I would prefer us to consign this formation to the bin…

We went ahead early with a well worked corner routine, but then conceded too much ground in midfield for the rest of the first half. Fortunately Shrewsbury were woeful and couldn’t test Shea despite having the lion’s share of possession. Similarly we produced virtually nothing going forward.

Our normal sluggish start to the second half presented the Shrews with an equaliser, as the proverbial Red Seas parted in our defence and a shot was deflected by Jon Meades past the helpless Shea.

From then on the game degenerated into a typical League 2 mid-table scrap with little quality on either side. Even the Shrews’ red card failed to drag us out of our stupor and a very poor quality game drifted to its conclusion.

Worrying if we can’t pick up three points against a side probably destined to struggle.

Roll on Wednesday and back to 4-4-2 please, Neal.

PS – Singapore, I was in the back bar briefly after the game before moving to the middle bar for the MOTM presentation – maybe next Saturday?

PPS – As an aside it was great to see the players, Jon Meades especially, in the bar chatting and having pictures taken with the young supporters after the game – it is what makes our club so special!

onyadon
    Keymaster

General consensus is two points lost against Shrewsbury Town (so far) the poorest team to come to KM this season. That said a couple of positives. James Shea again looked good for his second appearance this season (and we need him to do that regularly as the front-line keeper). Some claim he looked confident, commanding his box, claiming crosses (not generally his strong suit) and he was beaten by a significant deflection. So little fault there.
    Also Lyle Taylor had one of his better games this season and scored his first goal of the campaign. We need him to reproduce that regularly. Apparently the defence went better, if not the attack with the number of scoring chances the team had.
    We are away to the bottom team Coventry City on Wednesday and a note of caution: It’s the Sky Blues’ worst start since 1919. That concerns me as they are well overdue for a win!!

Viewing 6 replies - 847 through 852 (of 1,168 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.