The Lounge

Home Forums WDSA Forum The Lounge

This topic contains 1,206 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Wimbledon_rumours 4 days, 7 hours ago.

• Creator
    Topic

onyadon
    Keymaster

The Lounge

I’ve decided to spruce up the web-site a wee bit (even with our new logo – any comments?). Another new feature is the single thread forum, so you can jump on and have your say, ask a question or just read what is being said. As I always say the forum is only as strong as what you make of it, so I would urge you to contribute and regularly to keep it all worthwhile. BTW, if you want to check something in the old forum it is now archived and the link is below… Okay let’s hear from you …

Looking for the old forum? You can view the read-only archived version here.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by  Adam Dodds.
Viewing 6 replies - 829 through 834 (of 1,206 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Devon Womble
    Participant

Sigh…. So we wake up this morning to the inevitable news that Robinson of the unmentionables is almost certainly out of a job. Shame, he was doing such a good job for us. I can only hope they give the job to losing US presidential candidate Donald Trump so that he can use his money to bring in some US ‘football’ stars from the NFL (ahem) and help the continued downfall.
    It may be then, that their new manager has a whole month or so to get the unmentionables ready for us, but frankly, in what will be the biggest match in (English) football this year, (move over overpaid prancing Queens of the Premier league), I think we are good enough to destroy them if we play anything like we did yesterday. I and I’m sure many of us, hope so.

As for all my chiding of NA over the last few years, his ‘rotational’ scheme is clearly paying dividends. I have to give him credit for that and perhaps eat a (small) slice of humble pie as a result.
    His next challenge though may well be to fend off the queue of big money clubs that is no doubt forming for the January window, ready to snatch away the rising stars he has created among our squad.
    But for now, let’s bask in a moment that needs it’s own page in the ever burgeoning scrapbook of great Wimbledon memories.
    Sigh, what it is to be a Dons fan.

Windlesham Don
    Participant

In a season of remarkable performances yesterday’s was probably the most remarkable yet, even eclipsing the televised demolition of ex-bogeymen Oxford. I’m sure I wasn’t the only fan who had an “oh sh*t!” moment of dread when seeing the starting line up. No Robinson was expected, but no Charles, no Bulman, no Parrett and Poleon not even in the squad? No hope!!

But by all accounts the entire squad were immense (many thanks to Singapore for his thoughts) and listening on WDON we seemed to create chance after chance in the first half. Even in the second half the Posh huffed a little, but barely created an opportunity.

An epic performance and one which should ensure another full house at Kingsmeadow for the top of the table clash (sounds odd doesn’t it?) against the high flying Bantams next week.

One final thought – the much reviled and despised Checkatrade Trophy gave NA the opportunity to play Will Nightingale and Chris Robertson together at centre back in a competitive match and so they were not totally new to each other’s games. With a strong squad all pushing for places, we must have a decent chance of going deep into this competition and making a decent amount of prize money (blood money some would say). However, beggars cannot be choosers when it comes to generating revenue and as a minnow at this level we need all the cash we can get…

MacWomble
    Participant

You get the impression that this lofty height may not be our high water mark and that even better things are in store. An amazing story thus far! And we have always struggled against the Posh. Looking forward, I can’t see Robinson being in charge at MKD for much longer. He seems to have lost his appetite and mojo since relegation last year; cannot imagine his board will have much patience left, especially as the crowd numbers and gate receipts fall. Unless we face a brand new manager in our game against MK (and thus the usual first game bounceback that new managers get), then I’m seeing a 4-0 thumping in the stars and a happy away day for wombles.

onyadon
    Keymaster

Many thanks Singapore Don for a terrific report from Peterborough, don’t think anything was missed and extremely valuable for us not there.
    A couple of thoughts – 15 games in and the Dons stand perched on their highest league place of 6th in L1 since reformation. Rarefied times, maybe it might become our highest point this season, but who can say with any surety given the improvement so far this season.
    The Dons were knocked out of the League Cup by Posh 2-3 at the same ground back in August and by all accounts this was the ‘biggest’ 1-0 win for some time by our boys.
    What also impressed me was that Neal Ardley made six changes to the team that won 2-1 at Bury only four days beforehand and they still did the business. A new centre-back combination Chris Robertson and Will Nightingale kept a clean sheet. Tom Beere came in for Dannie Bulman and played his part. George Francomb for Dean Parrett, Chris Whelpdale for Lyle Taylor, Tom Elliott for Tyrone Barnett. Despite all that a comfortable win and long-time regulars described the first-half performance as one of the best by the Dons in ages. The upshot is that manager-on-the-rise Ardley has a squad (not a team) that can compete in L1. 23 points from 15 games is more than just survival; one loss out of the last 12 league games. Sure, there are challenges ahead: high-riding Bradford City visit Kingsmeadow next weekend, but Ardley has a tight-knit squad, playing for each other. It really is a team coming of age.
    The Dons currently stand 13 places above Franchise on the table. Franny manager Karl Robinson’s job is said to be hanging by a thread. In six games time Wimbledon – the REAL Wimbledon – are off to MK for what will be another emotionally-charged affair, but this time we – for now – have a better team than Franchise.
    Another thing. Wealthy Irishman Darragh MacAnthony, the owner of Posh, once wanted to buy into AFC Wimbledon and he was firmly rebuffed by the fans-owned club still traumatised by the bitter club ownership memories of the past. The Dons just went to MacAnthony’s PUFC team on Saturday and outplayed them. A couple of his thoughts on Twitter in closing. A wonderful time to be a Dons supporter.

liamwimbo
    Participant

Wow!We really are in nosebleed territory now. It is amazing that the worst thing about last night is that we only one by one goal. Some many positives, a clean sheet, new players coming in and doing a good job and the return to form for LTB. He took his time getting going last season and it was only after Christmas that he really looked like our best player so hope this lasts all season. Great to see Will Nightingale come in and do a job.But the whole team deserves credit. This excellent run will no doubt end at some point so let’s all enjoy it while it lasts.
    COYDS.

Singapore Don
    Participant

PS I meant to mention LTB. There were question marks early in the season over his commitment, his fight, his morale. Today put pay to all those simmering doubts: he really got his mojo back. He seems to have accepted without any sulking or despondency now that he’ll be rotated and has to play a squad role. He smiled and laughed throughout the pre match warm up; he was joking and bubbly in his sub warm ups down the touch line during the game; he had an excellent pacy long run which won a corner and he curled a beautiful shot on the turn which only narrowly missed. And at the end he was laughing and hugging other players, punching the air delighted with the win, a picture of happiness. LTB is back!

Viewing 6 replies - 829 through 834 (of 1,206 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.