The Lounge

Home Forums WDSA Forum The Lounge

This topic contains 1,168 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Windlesham Don 3 hours, 40 minutes ago.

• Creator
    Topic

onyadon
    Keymaster

The Lounge

I’ve decided to spruce up the web-site a wee bit (even with our new logo – any comments?). Another new feature is the single thread forum, so you can jump on and have your say, ask a question or just read what is being said. As I always say the forum is only as strong as what you make of it, so I would urge you to contribute and regularly to keep it all worthwhile. BTW, if you want to check something in the old forum it is now archived and the link is below… Okay let’s hear from you …

Looking for the old forum? You can view the read-only archived version here.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by  Adam Dodds.
Viewing 6 replies - 829 through 834 (of 1,168 total)
  • Author
    Replies

onyadon
    Keymaster

liamwimbo
    Participant

Hi Peter, I was there but flitting about a lot at KM before going to a local pub before the game.
    As Windlesham says, excellent summary of the match. Very sound defensively, good team performance and for me Elliott was MotM for his work at the back as well as up front.
    If we discount the first 3 games, the Dons have got 13 points from 8 games. If we can keep that up, we will survive comfortably in this league. Must start turning those disappointing draws into wins though.
    Heading back to Oz soon so no more games me this season. So hope to see you (and finally meet Windlesham) at KM next season.

Colum
    Participant

Just watched the John Green interview after the Gills game:

http://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/making-the-movie-with-john-3345973.aspx

It almost brought me to tears. It wasn’t his signing, although on another day that would have done the trick, it was the realisation that his words about singing “Show the way to Plough Lane” expertly put into context everything I love about our magical club. It is well worth listening to.

Windlesham Don
    Participant

Just posted my thoughts on yesterday. but the post appears to have got lost in the ether!! :o(

I will summarise as total agreement with Singapore Don!

Singapore Don
    Participant

Did we come of League One age yesterday, or did we luck out on coming up against an out-of-sorts Gillingham? Maybe a bit of both, but I’m going with the former. Yes Gillingham were not the great threat I thought they would be, that their league position and record threatened, and yes they were without some injured players and lost Bradley Dack early on — but, but we still had a job to do, and boy oh boy did we did it effectively. And not for spells of the game, but for a full ninety minutes.

This was a complete team performance: a solid defence with Robbo and Charles back to their confident, rock like best, and Meades fantastically clever and skilful at left back; a commanding midfield with Parrett delivering great set piece balls and Tom Beere looking very comfortable and assured; and a forward line with Elliott simply unplayable and Poleon blessed with speed and technical know-how to keep the goals coming. And Elliott was brilliant at defending Gillingham’s set pieces, his head more often than not the one to rise highest to clear corners and free kicks. Evidence of a team really working as a unit and working for each other.

This was the first game that I watched this season from beginning to end feeling relaxed – and that tells you how hopefully we’re now settling in to this league. Windlesham and I met before the game (looked for you everywhere Liam, couldn’t find you??), and I said to him I feared this game could be the one that after all our games apart from Walsall being draws or decided by just the odd goal, we could come a cropper and be handed an embarrassing spanking of perhaps 1-4 by a strong Gillingham side. Thank goodness I was hopelessly wrong, and if Barcham had scored at the very end we would have dished out our own spanking of one of the league’s better sides. As it was, 2-0 was a great score which didn’t flatter us. We kept a rare clean sheet reflecting an improved defence in front of a confident keeper, and our two goals were scored by summer signings, showing they’re settling in to the team and bringing us some real added value. We may not get too many nerve-free games like yesterday’s, and I suspect we’ll be back to a more backs-to-the-wall type game at Oxford next week. But for now, I’m just going to enjoy this post victory, post solid performance contentment. For now I’ll just enjoy thinking: we really could be a decent League one team!

martindownunderdon
    Participant

This is a funny old game,by all accounts we dominated this game for most of it.Was it just a of day for Gillingham or are we starting to play as iknow we can.Oxford next week will be the real test next week, now if we can get a result i do think we can be looking at the edge of the playoffs so come on Dons show us the way to Plough Lane.

Viewing 6 replies - 829 through 834 (of 1,168 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.