The Lounge

Home Forums WDSA Forum The Lounge

This topic contains 1,206 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Wimbledon_rumours 4 days, 6 hours ago.

• Creator
    Topic

onyadon
    Keymaster

The Lounge

I’ve decided to spruce up the web-site a wee bit (even with our new logo – any comments?). Another new feature is the single thread forum, so you can jump on and have your say, ask a question or just read what is being said. As I always say the forum is only as strong as what you make of it, so I would urge you to contribute and regularly to keep it all worthwhile. BTW, if you want to check something in the old forum it is now archived and the link is below… Okay let’s hear from you …

Looking for the old forum? You can view the read-only archived version here.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by  Adam Dodds.
Viewing 6 replies - 811 through 816 (of 1,206 total)
  • Author
    Replies

onyadon
    Keymaster

Firstly, put out of your minds AFC Wimbledon’s 2-1 win at Bury a few weeks back as a precursor to Saturday’s FA Cup tie at Gigg Lane. I hope Neal Ardley has insisted on that to his players before they face the Shakers again. To expect the same outcome because of what transpired recently is fraught with danger in the cut and thrust of Cup-tie football. The Dons may be sailing along pretty well in League 1, while Bury have LOST their last six games, but this is a one-off and things can turn around and sharpish. The Dons have a 3-2 W-L record in 1st round FA Cup ties since promotion to the Football League. Last season Bury reached the fourth round after accounting for Wigan, Rochdale and Bradford before going out to Premier League Hull City. Bury will have the motivation to knock the Dons down a peg or two, if there is a whiff of complacency in the Wimbledon ranks they will be brought undone. If Ardley can get the mindset right there is every chance the Dons might come away from Lancashire with a replay or even a win. It will be another sign of Wimbledon’s maturity as a L1 side if they can get the job done and go into the hat for the 2nd round draw.

MacWomble
    Participant

I wonder where Karl Robinson will pop-up next? Too good for League 1, not good enough for the Championship, but good enough to have held his job for a long-time (by current appalling standards). Mr Ardley must be rising up the list of long-serving managers for sure. Both these managers have proven a thing or two.

Colum
    Participant

I’d take issue with the thought that NA’s substitutions cost us the game. It was clear to me from the hour mark onwards that the frenetic pace of the game was starting to take its toll on players. LTB in particular was struggling, after yet another mammoth effort. We needed to change things, and NA brought on direct replacements. OK I admit that Barnett is not Elliott, and Whelpdale is not LTB, but those are the players we had on the bench. Barnett could have saved us a point with that header deep into injury time, and to criticise him for missing it is harsh.

Colum
    Participant

Before you get too despondent about our first defeat since early September, close your eyes and take a deep breath. Slowly exhale whilst remembering where we’ve come from, and how long it has taken us to get there. Then remember that for most of the yesterday’s game we gave a team that will be there or there abouts at the end of the season a real good run for their money.

The game was a beauty for any neutral, and it wasn’t half bad for the partisan either. Right from the kickoff Bradford set out their stall. Here we had two teams with a big lump up front, two pacey wide men off him, an incredibly hard running midfield and a solid defence. Both teams pressed hard, harried opponents, yet got the ball down and played it when they could.

Sometimes two evenly matched teams cancel each other out. Yesterday that wasn’t the case. The stats don’t lie. Five goals, and five shots on target all game. Both teams could, and perhaps should, have scored more.

On the penalties, ours was a stone wall foul. It followed brilliant work by Barcham who broke away down the pitch on hos own. Just as support arrived, he laid if off to the onrushing Reeves who knocked it past the incoming defender. Contact may have been minimal, but contact there was. It was nothing more than we deserved. Theirs happened at the other end, so I didn’t get a good look at it. It seemed harsh on Shea who had another excellent game. He came quick off the line when he had to, and he caught pretty much everything that came near him.

Tom Elliott won the MOTM award, but to be honest any one of the starting eleven could have won it. Tom’s goal was pretty special, and both he and LTB linked up well. Special mention has to go to all the forward line for their defensive work. The number of times we saw one or other back defending and then busting a gut to break forward, was a joy to behold.

I could go on about the rest of the team. John Meades had another outstanding game. Young Will Nightingale had a good game. If their were issues it was with some of the older rearguard. Barry Fuller can get caught out occasionally, but you can’t deny his work ethic. Robbo also has the odd mistake in him. Both can still do a job for us, but you wonder for how much longer.

So we look forward to another trip to Bury and hopefully a FA Cup run. Confidence is high, and I’d have preferred to lose yesterday than next week. Yes we lost, but it could so easily have gone the other way. We’ve got a team and manager that has a real chance at another playoff position. Even if we don’t achieve that aim, I’ll have to pinch myself that we are where we are. It is times like this that fans look back on. Remember when we topped the Premier League. Remember that 1988 defeat of Liverpool? Remember that Danny Kedwell penalty against Luton in the Play Off Final? Remember Wembley last May? Too right I do, and those sweet memories will go with me to my grave.

Windlesham Don
    Participant

Sing – I’m not sure your glass is full enough to be considered half empty! ;o)

Personally I rarely leave a defeat in anything but a foul mood, but yesterday I was calm and could reflect on an excellent game of football between two good sides. I missed the defeat against Sheffield United, but other than that the Bantams were comfortably the best side I have seen this term, full of energy and no little skill. I certainly feel they will be challenging for an automatic place if they continue like that for the rest of the season.

We were also excellent however, and matched them for all but the last 15 minutes of a pulsating encounter.

I will not go through a blow by blow account of the game as this has been summarised in fine fashion by Singapore. However, I will make a couple of observations.

After we took the lead, we sadly succumbed to Bradford’s attacking substitutions. We started to defend too deep and Bradford were quick to accept our invitation to attack us. For me, our problem was the absence through injury/illness of Dom Poleon and Dean Parrett. Francomb filled in well, but he is not really a ‘dig in’ type central player. If Parrett had been in the centre then we may have controlled the middle of the park better, allowing us to bring on the promising Tom Beere in a better game situation.

Tyrone Barnett has received some stick for his performance, but I feel he is an easy target. When he came on we were already defending too deep and he did not have the support of LTB and Barch around him, as they had dropped back to defend (and were also rapidly losing energy). Tom had had this support for the early part of the game. Ty also did not have the speed of Poleon to use for knock downs and to help him defend from the front – he was basically isolated and always going to struggle.

I would have loved to have seen us with a full squad yesterday, Parrett starting and Poleon on for the last 20, as I feel the outcome may have been different.

Having defended Barnett I sadly cannot do the same for Whelpdale. To me he has not looked fit for the entire season and yesterday once again he looked lost when he came on and struggled to get into the game. If he is struggling with long term injury then I wish the club would let us know this, as we would have more sympathy for his performances, which are at odds with the rest of the squad.

I’m on holiday for a couple of weeks and so sadly will be missing the next three Saturdays. I hope I can return to a few more points and a 2nd round FA Cup tie!

COYD!!

Singapore Don
    Participant

PS Will Nightingale had another solid game in central defence. Very calm and assured. Bodes well. My one other obsevation, and I’m afraid a negative one, is the sloppy and very costly wayward pass of Lyle Taylor in midfield that gifted them their first goal after just two minutes. A number of players have been guilty in recent games of giving away the ball to the opposition by underhitting or misdirecting passes to team mates playing out of defence or in midfield. We’ve got away with it against lesser teams, but were punished yesterday. It gave us an even higher mountain to climb so early on, but at least we showed a fighting spirit to get back in to the game and actually get in front. Shame we couldn’t hold out for something from the game. Lesson learned, I hope.

Viewing 6 replies - 811 through 816 (of 1,206 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.