The Lounge

Home Forums WDSA Forum The Lounge

This topic contains 1,206 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Wimbledon_rumours 4 days, 6 hours ago.

• Creator
    Topic

onyadon
    Keymaster

The Lounge

I’ve decided to spruce up the web-site a wee bit (even with our new logo – any comments?). Another new feature is the single thread forum, so you can jump on and have your say, ask a question or just read what is being said. As I always say the forum is only as strong as what you make of it, so I would urge you to contribute and regularly to keep it all worthwhile. BTW, if you want to check something in the old forum it is now archived and the link is below… Okay let’s hear from you …

Looking for the old forum? You can view the read-only archived version here.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by  Adam Dodds.
Viewing 6 replies - 769 through 774 (of 1,206 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Windlesham Don
    Participant

…And our reward is a trip to Sutton! It should be a cracking atmosphere and will bring back memories of our first ever match in our current guise. There will be a scramble for tickets though, as I doubt we will get more than 2000 tickets in a ground nominally holding 5000 – I’m willing to bet there will be a few Wombles in the home end!

With £67k up for grabs in prize money for the winner there is a big carrot , with the chance of a plum draw also awaiting. Both sides will feel that they can win it, and with Ross Worner in goal and Matt Tubbs up front, there is bound to be some banter and some spice in the game.

I just hope it isn’t selected for TV so we can have a cracking local derby at 15:00 on Saturday.

COYD!

Colum
    Participant

Good point Rob. I also noticed the complete lack of emotion from Neil Ardley when the winner went in. Also the hug he gave his opposite number at the end. It was a gracious gesture from a manager who realised he’d slipped on a banana skin whilst carrying a pint, but somehow managed to stay upright and not spill a drop.

martindownunderdon
    Participant

What can i say that has not been said our club is just amazing the never say die attitude reminds me of the old grazy gang.I must say when it was 3-0 i did text my son who was out at a party to not bother to watch it when he got home,then i had to text him again that he must watch it.COYD. Now let us give that thing up the road a good beating.

onyadon
    Keymaster

What an incredible emotional roller-coaster ride that was. I had figuratively put the cue in the rack at 0-3 (think we all did…) and was reflecting on what a lost opportunity the listless Dons had squandered for the FA Cup third round draw, when ….. the turnaround was just a blur, three goals in three minutes and in a twinkling we were level and chasing the winner. I had another look at the game this morning and what shone out was Jake Reeves’s role in the fightback. He was outstanding in that final and decisive part of the game. Darting about and directing the Dons big men to crowd the GK at the corner he was taking (and you are right Devon, you could clearly hear JR barking out at his forwards just before swinging the corner in for Tom Elliott to score). Poleon (who I thought was most disappointing overall) and Barnett (off the bench) quickly made it 3-3 and then it was Reeves’s pinpoint free kick from half-way on to Elliott, who back-headed the ball into the net for the winner. Deserved win? Hardly, given how long Curzon Ashton dominated with their smooth passing game – playing through the Dons midfield in the first half and exposing an over-wrought defence. But full marks to the Dons for finding a way to a win we’ll talk about for years. Thought Lyle Taylor had some good attacking moments, particularly in the second half, and Elliott got more into the match. Barry Fuller was worryingly easily turned around and the two Robbos did not protect Shea very well before the comeback. An observation: I thought Neal Ardley was all class in the way he commiserated with his counterpart John Flanagan, who must have wanted the ground to swallow him up at FT. Ardley didn’t celebrate the winner as others did, rather at the whistle he walked to the CA gaffer, hugged him and had a few consoling words in his ear before walking to his players. Humble, respectful and yet more evidence of the growth of Ardley as manager of AFC Wimbledon. It was a massive escape for the Dons, we ALMOST slipped up on a non-league banana skin, but the main thing is the Dons live to fight for another day in the Cup. Now we await the 3rd round draw.

Windlesham Don
    Participant

And relax…

Yet another incredible match which we will be talking about for many years to come (especially if we get a plum tie in the 3rd round draw!).

I sat in the pub with a few Womble friends and the whole thing seemed to pass in a surreal blur. We’d barely ordered our first pint when we went a goal down, and the next 80 minutes passed like an increasingly horrific nightmare. But from the humiliation of the first 80 minutes, the team managed to dredge an unlikely victory from I know not where.

However, the last 10 minutes should not be allowed to cover up the utter dross that we produced for a majority of the tie. NA needs to discuss this match at length with the squad, because without exception everyone of them was awful for 80 minutes.

However, not much point diving into an in depth post mortem now, as we have a 3rd round draw to look forward to!

Colum
    Participant

At 3-0 down the result was never in doubt 🙂

Viewing 6 replies - 769 through 774 (of 1,206 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.