The Lounge

Home Forums WDSA Forum The Lounge

This topic contains 1,168 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Windlesham Don 2 hours, 28 minutes ago.

• Creator
    Topic

onyadon
    Keymaster

The Lounge

I’ve decided to spruce up the web-site a wee bit (even with our new logo – any comments?). Another new feature is the single thread forum, so you can jump on and have your say, ask a question or just read what is being said. As I always say the forum is only as strong as what you make of it, so I would urge you to contribute and regularly to keep it all worthwhile. BTW, if you want to check something in the old forum it is now archived and the link is below… Okay let’s hear from you …

Looking for the old forum? You can view the read-only archived version here.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by  Adam Dodds.
Viewing 6 replies - 751 through 756 (of 1,168 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Colum
    Participant

It is interesting watching Barnett play. Not particularly pleasing, just interesting. Yesterday he had odd moments, totaling about one minute in all, when you said to yourself, “If only you did that all the time.” The trouble is, he doesn’t. He doesn’t seem to have the desire to do a Tom Elliott. To fight for the cause, or put his body on the line. His slow, ponderous moment was as frustrating as hell to watch. Especially against a team that were quick, physical, and direct. It was no surprise he didn’t come back out at half time.

You have to praise Neil Ardley for making the double substitution at half time. Tom Elliott was immense again. Even winning the Man of the Match for just a 45 minute stint. Sean Kelly also had an excellent game. I’d also single out Danny Bulman. He does the dirty work in midfield well, but can play a bit as well. One ball to Poleon with the outside of his boot in particular was sublime.

So what of Poleon. I’d disagree that he had an off game. Yes he did miss a one on one which would have put us 3-1 up, but his overall contribution was good. His best was kept for the post match awards.

I have never witnessed such a funny Man of the Match ceremony in my time at Kingsmeadow. Tom went up for the bottle of bubbly and was asked about his goal. Probably unwisely, he said there was an element of doubt over whose it was and that Don was claiming it. After consulting Sky Sports which confirmed it was Elliott’s, cue Mr Poleon strutting up on stage like a Cock on heat to put Mr Elliott in his place. It went something like this:

“The ball came in and Tom went up and did what he does best. The ball landed at my feet and and I did what all good strikers do. Respect to the big man, but he does the setting up brilliantly, and I do the scoring.”

Having seen the replay I have to say it was Poleon’s goal, although I think it came off his shin before he even knew what happened. Sometimes despite the best efforts of Ivor Heller, the Man of the Match awards can be a little predictable. This one was not one of those and made me eternally thankful for Ivor’s efforts.

So it is on to Curzon Ashton and hopefully a win through to the third round. I’m under no illusions that this will be a tricky tie. We’re onto a hiding to nothing. Win and we were expected to. Lose and the headlines won’t be about us.

Following on from that is the game in Bucks. I sense the mood amongst the fans has changed a little. Many seen happy to go there and cheer the team on. The form table should say an away win. Let’s hope so.

Singapore Don
    Participant

A point was probably as much as we deserved from our poor showing against Fleetwood, but it was still incredibly disappointing to throw away another two points with yet another stoppage time goal conceded. That’s the fourth league match in which we’ve done that (Rochdale, Coventry, Bradford and Fleetwood) costing us seven points, as well as the added time goal conceded in the EFL Cup match against Peterborough which cost us a possible Cup run. Yes, we’ve sneaked a couple of at the death goals ourselves to gain four points (Chesterfield and Bury) – but in the overall tally, we’re three points down. Always great to get the added time extra points, always gutting to throw them away.

As for the game, we were as I said poor. The first half was probably as bad as we’ve played all season. This clearly wasn’t helped by having a makeshift defence, in which our young left back was given a torrid time by a very pacy and tricky right winger. The defending of the two corners from which Fleetwood scored was abysmal, both goalscorer heading unchallenged and from only six yards out. Very, very poor defending for which our usually reliable central defenders are so good at clearing.

But the glaring hole for the Dons was the lack of firepower up front. Tyrone Barnett is proving to be a thoroughly useless summer investment. Apart from his headed goal away at Charlton, he really has failed to shine at all this season, and when given a chance like yesterday with a starting place alongside the fiery Poleon, you would have thought he would have grabbed the opportunity with both hands and given his all to show his commitment and worth. Exactly the opposite happened. He was non-existent, lacking any hunger or desire, slow, disinterested. It was no surprise at all that he was subbed at half time, and the introduction of the “immense” Elliott immediately paid dividends with a goal two minutes after the break. Tom then showed Barnett exactly what he should have been doing by throwing his heart and soul in to winning balls, creating chances and defending when necessary. It was Elliott’s perseverance at battling through their defence which saw him brought down in the box and winning us a penalty. If Barnett fails to deliver soon, he could be looking at the exit door come January – if we can persuade anyone to take on a has-been, misfiring striker on big wages. I just hope he can still come good, though how many more chances does he need?

It was disappointing that Poleon had an off game, missing a couple of great one-on-one opportunities which in previous games he’s finished off with great confidence. That confidence was missing yesterday, and unfortunately it cost us dear – particularly his woeful miss when through with ten minutes to go and the chance to put us 3-1 up. Somehow you knew that Fleetwood would get another chance – they’d had so many – and probably punish that miss. It was a shame with our problems up front that we didn’t have the Lyle Taylor option, given a hip injury he apparently has; let’s hope he’s back in action soon to give us that extra and much needed threat we so desperately needed yesterday.

The other failing yesterday was our midfield which was outrun and outthought throughout the game. The Fleetwood number 34 completely bossed that part of the field, forcing the Dons to play the long hoof ball game I haven’t seen us play for ages. We didn’t even attempt to play the ball on the ground through the midfield. It just didn’t work for us, and I can only put that down to the fact that Fleetwood were sharper, more inventive and more creative throughout their midfield.

James Shea made one outstanding save, when twisting his body in the opposite direction to push away a deflected long range shot, and generally he had a decent game. Fleetwood, however, will be wondering how on earth they weren’t four of five up at half time; the thirty yard rifled shot which blasted off the inside of Shea’s post, and fired back across the open goal and out of play – well, it was one of many, many occasions in which we rode our luck. Kelly (brought on at half time for the struggling Owens) made an outstanding block on the line after a Fleetwood player rounded Shea and looked to slot home. Not long after, another Fleetwood player when clean through and with an open goal somehow managed to shoot wide. Given these wasted and missed Fleetwood chances, we should be happy with the point we did secure. But would’t it have been nice to have the extra two points we had on 92 minutes, and be fifth today in the league table? Hey ho, FA Cup next….let’s make sure no last minute goals there, unless they’re ours!

PS Good to see you Windlesham. My 2-1 prediction was correct for 90 minutes of play. But not for 94 minutes of play!!!

Windlesham Don
    Participant

A return to KM for our old foes from Fleetwood. We have met them in the Conference, League 2 and now both teams are just outside the playoff positions in League 1. The progress of both clubs has been similar, but there the similarity ends – the Wombles: fan owned, fan run and fan financed, Fleetwood: the plaything and possible tax efficient vehicle of businessman Andy Pilley, with no fans to speak of. Not my favourite club…

We have never lost to Fleetwood, but Uwe Rosler is a good manager at this level and they must be respected. We are without both full backs through suspension and so it will be interesting to see whether NA tinkers with the 4-3-3 formation to protect his makeshift full backs, probably George Francomb and young Seth Owens. He could offer more protection by going to 4-4-2 or make a radical change and play them as wing backs in a 3-5-2.

Whatever system he chooses I am expecting a difficult game to conclude a tough run of twice a week fixtures. My guess is that a tight and cagey match will result in a low scoring draw. If pressed however, my money would be on a yellow card for Jake Reeves, causing him to miss the trip to Curzon Ashton but be available for the Franchise the following week!

COYD!

Windlesham Don
    Participant

Hi Singapore, thanks for the concise summary as ever. All that I would add is that I thought our keeper, Bursik, looked solid throughout, although with little to do. The one youngster who has frustrated me over the two Youth Cup games I have seen is Anthony Hartigan. Obviously a hero for getting a hat trick to bury the illegitimate Franchise pups recently, he seems to have great talent but has not really got involved in either game I have seen, playing within himself too much IMO.

I’ll be interested to see how the lads get on ‘oop North, but I doubt that this squad will emulate the heroics of last season. We don’t have the superstars this term, but there is plenty to be optimistic about for the future, as we played another League 1 academy team off the park.

PS – Happy to chew the fat with you any time, Pete, and I’ll be there early on Saturday if you are around.

Singapore Don
    Participant

I went along to the FA Youth Cup game at Kingsmeadow last night to check out the up and coming Dons talent – and there are some real prospects there. A comfortable 3-0 win which could have been more comfortable were it not for some great saves by the Bristol Rovers keeper.

Pick of the bunch on show was Jayden Antwi up front, Azeez like in his pace and power, but with a clear sense of where the goal is and an ability to convert chances in to goals. He looked dynamite. Judah Chapman was also a bright spark up front. Kalambayi and Sibbick in defence both look assured and solid, while Sean Bird also showed great promise. There wasn’t a weak link in the team, and the subs who came on looked equally strong and capable. We should be excited that there we are producing and nurturing some great players in our youth ranks, which obviously bodes well for the club’s future. If I had one concern, it was that a number of our players are quite small – and yes, I know they’re all under 18 – but the Rovers players towered above them across the field (apart from Kalambayi and Sibbick). Having said that, size clearly didn’t matter last night since the boys got the win. But like Chace Jaquart, who was a much touted future star for us but is now “unattached”, size does matter in first team football and can blight your prospects if not endowed with either height or strong physique.

Final thought for the young Rovers lad who suffered a terrible ankle break after clattering into the hoardings in front of the Chemflow end. You could hear his scream around the ground. As he was stretchered past us in front of the Paul Strank stand you could see his foot/ankle bent horrifically at ninety degrees. Let’s hope he recovers well and quickly.

As for our own lads, it’s Huddersfield next in the third round – let’s hope they can put in another great performance there to hopefully set up a fourth round tie against one of the big boys. Come on you Dons!

PS Windlesham: I saw you with your friends last night but didn’t want to butt in again. Hope you enjoyed the game too.

liamwimbo
    Participant

Doesn’t sound like it was much of a game on Tuesday, but a point away at a local rival is not to be sneezed at. Shame about the cards for Barry and Meades, though.
    We had our annual WDSA get-together in Adelaide last night, as we always do on the eve of the Test match here and Robert is in town. Really made me think about the huge progess the club have made in the last 12 month. New Plough Lane was still very much a work in progress and promotion from L2 was just a pipedream. And now the Dons are riding high in L1 while a certain other team is down the bottom. The forthcoming film about the club has a lot to live up to. COYDs.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 6 replies - 751 through 756 (of 1,168 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.