The Lounge

Home Forums WDSA Forum The Lounge

This topic contains 1,168 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Windlesham Don 3 hours, 30 minutes ago.

• Creator
    Topic

onyadon
    Keymaster

The Lounge

I’ve decided to spruce up the web-site a wee bit (even with our new logo – any comments?). Another new feature is the single thread forum, so you can jump on and have your say, ask a question or just read what is being said. As I always say the forum is only as strong as what you make of it, so I would urge you to contribute and regularly to keep it all worthwhile. BTW, if you want to check something in the old forum it is now archived and the link is below… Okay let’s hear from you …

Looking for the old forum? You can view the read-only archived version here.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by  Adam Dodds.
Viewing 6 replies - 721 through 726 (of 1,168 total)
  • Author
    Replies

MacWomble
    Participant

I think the Gaffer summed it all up nicely in his pre-game quote (in earlier post). Both teams up for a game which is tremendously important to Wombles the World over. Shame about the result. The bloke from Hearts will toughen MK up a bit. We will be seeing a repeat of this game next year, but at least it sets it up nicely for when we host them later on. Great posts Wombles.

liamwimbo
    Participant

Total respect and admiration for those Dons fans going today, but like Singapore and Windlesham, I could not bring myself to attend a match at their place.
    I am sure the “go/ don’t go” debate will rumble on for a few years yet. As Singapore points out, there may be a generation gap developing, as my niece and two nephews are going. The youngest was only four in 2002.
    Ideally, Franchise will get relegated this year and we won’t have to go through this next season.

And as Robert, says We have already won by being higher than them, not just in the league, but morally as well.

Come on You Dons.

Windlesham Don
    Participant

I will also not be attending today, and personally I will only reconsider if they drop the deliberately antagonistic “Dons” from their name. That word, when referring to Winkleman’s club stealers, still has the power to provoke hurt and anger.

Anything could happen today, but I fear the new manager ‘bounce’. We need to start strong and not give the opposition any sniff of a chance. If we can take control early then both our stellar run away from home and their miserable run at Stadium:MK (what a stupid name for a ground!) will continue.

On a brighter note, the Dons’ Trust AGM on Thursday was an enjoyable evening, with the project manager of the new stadium giving the DT members an illustration of the design of the initial build. The West stand (along one side) will be the only permanent structure and will hold around 4k, as well as hospitality boxes. The South stand will be the home end and will initially house around 1.5k, the East stand will be the Family stand and will initially hold around 2.5k and the North stand will be the Away end and will initially hold almost 2k. The away fans will have a dedicated bar and will also have separate access to the stadium. In the South West corner of the ground the home bar will have the ability to hold around 650, but there will also be two other hospitality areas in the West stand which will hold around 150 apiece.

The plans are for the ground to be ready for the beginning of the 2019/20 season with test events planned during the summer of 2019 – start saving up for the flights boys!!

For DT members the new stadium presentation was filmed as is available via the DT Webjam site.

One final point of interest from the meeting: since the time of the playoff final the DT membership has increased by a phenomenal 800 to the current figure of 2900. Amazingly, a significant proportion of these new members are from John Green’s Nerdfighter community in the USA – it just shows how our story of a community pulling together is resonating around the world!!

COYD!

Singapore Don
    Participant

Never forgive, never forget. I shall not be going to the franchise dungeon of theft, my loathing of the scum too visceral to contemplate a visit up the M1 today. Like many I’m sure, I’m still too scarred by what happened in 2002 when our beloved Wimbledon FC was stolen from us. The unspeakables and the football world should always be reminded of the terrible wrongs and injustice that was done to Wimbledon fans, and for me boycotting the game is my continuing protest.

Fourteen years on, there is now a generational divide developing. The grudge match no doubt appeals to younger fans, for whom the horror of 2002 is not an actual experienced pain. I just hope they shout loud and clear the accusations of wrongdoing that the franchise stadium deserves to hear, but I hope even more that they behave sensibly and don’t besmirch the family club reputation of the Wombles. No doubt they’ll sing loud and proud, and back our team as I can’t bring myself to do in person today. I’ll be rooting as ever though for those three points, which would be all the sweeter to take from the thieving fakes of Bucks. Let’s hope the form book holds firm, they continue to fail to have a first home win and we continue on the road unbeaten in the league since that first game at Walsall – to which I did go and sing my heart out for the boys.

Come on you Dons!

onyadon
    Keymaster

AFC Wimbledon have won already. As we arrive at the day when the REAL Dons play Franchise for the first time in the League, AFC Wimbledon have won already. It’s sweet karma that the Dons stand 7th on the table, MK 19th, in the first season the two disparates have played in the same league — 14 years after starting out as a fans-owned team in tier nine Combined Counties League. Six promotions later and the Dons are ABOVE MK. That takes some beating. It’s such a wrenching emotional occasion that there will be some Dons fans not prepared to go to Buckinghamshire for the game, for others they will be there to not so subtly remind the FA how they were so grievously treated back in 2002. It is a fascinating time to be facing MK. They have sacked their manager Karl Robinson, they are teetering on relegation and they have not won at home this season. They have a new gaffer in place Robbie Neilson from Hearts. MK will be desperate to beat the REAL Dons, so will the travelling fans willing on AFC Wimbledon. The players have bought into it with Jakes Reeves saying ahead of the game:

We do know there is a lot more riding on this game than just three points. It’s massive, especially as we went up last year and they came down – it will be huge for the fans. If you look at how the clubs have progressed on and off the field since, we would like to think we have done it the right way and are going in the right direction where hopefully they are going in the other direction. There’s no remorse, no mercy on that comment either.

Neal Ardley, who has transformed AFC Wimbledon this season, has this to say:

Win or lose, 90 minutes in Milton Keynes will not define our season – and it will not define the AFC Wimbledon story. Yes, it’s a game with an edge to it, and I wouldn’t say it’s lost its ‘teeth’ because there is still a lot of emotion attached to it, but we’ve moved on and up. We are over-achieving massively for a club whose budget is probably the lowest in League One.
    But we won promotion last season on a budget that was in the bottom third of our ­division so we are no strangers to defying the odds. If we lose today, we are not going to give up the ghost. AFC Wimbledon is the greatest expression of fan power in football.

We have so much to be proud about AFC Wimbledon. We have won already.

liamwimbo
    Participant

Hi Best link I saw of Jake is on the AFC Wimbledon Facebook page with a 3 minute video posted by Stuart Stone on December 6th at 6.06am my time in Adelaide. Sorry that I can’t work out how to post a link.

Very quiet on here – is it the calm before the storm?

Viewing 6 replies - 721 through 726 (of 1,168 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.