The Lounge

Home Forums WDSA Forum The Lounge

This topic contains 1,206 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Wimbledon_rumours 4 days, 7 hours ago.

• Creator
    Topic

onyadon
    Keymaster

The Lounge

I’ve decided to spruce up the web-site a wee bit (even with our new logo – any comments?). Another new feature is the single thread forum, so you can jump on and have your say, ask a question or just read what is being said. As I always say the forum is only as strong as what you make of it, so I would urge you to contribute and regularly to keep it all worthwhile. BTW, if you want to check something in the old forum it is now archived and the link is below… Okay let’s hear from you …

Looking for the old forum? You can view the read-only archived version here.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by  Adam Dodds.
Viewing 6 replies - 721 through 726 (of 1,206 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Windlesham Don
    Participant

OK, seems like I am now able to post again! :o)

Went along to see the U18s play the Franchise in their final preparation match for the Youth Cup last 16 tie at Preston.

This set of boys are very impressive and the 4-0 victory probably flattered the Franchise, as the score could easily have been 6 or 7 we were so dominant.

Wednesday will be a test for the lads against a side who put out Everton in the last round, but if we concentrate and play to our abilities then we have a fantastic chance of progressing to the quarter final – that would be a category 3 academy in the last 8 of a competition populated with the vast resources of the Premier League academies!

My fingers will be firmly crossed for a chance to entertain either Brighton or Stoke in the quarter final. I’m sure the fans would turn out in force for that one to cheer the boys on.

COYD!!

Windlesham Don
    Participant

A quick test to see if I can post now…

Colum
    Participant

Am I the only one who was just a bit surprised to see the Gills game called off more than 24 hours before KO. And to see the OS post accompanied by a picture of a Priestfield covered pitch. Sure we are suffering a real cold snap here, but during the day any frost is quickly melting.

Admittedly Kent can be fairly rural and frosts can be heavier in the regions, and whilst the top of a pitch may be OK, the underneath may still be frozen. But really? This does smack of some professional foul play. Remember that tale of Harry Bassett ringing the Fire Brigade to come down and water the pitch to get a game called off? I’d love to know if that was true. Maybe the Gills have similar problems and were happy to oblige?

It is welcome mind you. We’ve got quite a few knocks and tired bodies that need rest. With not having a game now until early Feb, the gap gives them a good break to recover. The only draw back is that Robinson doesn’t get to use up one of his suspended games.

Colum
    Participant

I’ve just sent a piece to Rob for inclusion in the next WDSA on the Sutton games. Ironically for someone who doesn’t really get upset about defeats, this one REALLY hurt. The complete opposite of Singapore Don. Yes Sutton just about deserved the victory, but for me it was the manner of the victory that got under my skin.

Yesterday’s point at Chesterfield was all we could expect after the painful (in more ways than one) Sutton defeat. We have players playing with injuries, with no one else of the same quality to fill in. Barnett in particular looks totally forlorn. Whelpdale may turn out to be something we can use. The problem is, will he get the chance? Midfield and defence is where we are strong. Personally I think Danny Bulman still has it. Maybe not for two games a week, but with the young up starts of Beere and Egin in the wings I don’t think we should worry. We are a little light in defence, but the current crop are standing up to the onslaught. Lets hope that continues.

liamwimbo
    Participant

Even days later, I am still annoyed by the defeat by Sutton. Firstly for selfish reasons since we Wombles down under won’t get to see the Dons on TV. But more importantly, because the club will miss out on the income the televised game would have generated as we prepare for New Plough Lane.
    There is always always​ criticism of the ref, but the level directed at the bloke in charge on Tuesday is unprecedented. A foul on Taylor that warranted a red card not even punished with a free kick seems to have been the worst example. And apparently he is due to be in charge of the home game v Franchise, a match I am hoping to attend.
    But life goes on so the players need to regroup and deal with two away matches in the next few days. I must admit I would be happy with two draws, but hoping the team can surprise me.
    COYDs

PS we had a good get-together in Melbourne and good to meet Charlie Bell in person.

MacWomble
    Participant

I don’t really care about the Cup. It is solidifying our league position that is important and building a solid team that can withstand the pressure when even more of the club’s resources are dedicated to Plough Lane Mk2. The Big Time can wait until we are back in Merton and 100% secure. Tis merely survival up to this point. That said, one benefit of the loss was that our game actually made the top sports banner of my BBC web page as one of the three leading stories – trumped by Lincoln – but still up there. The team seem to have been decidedly inconsistent since December. The cold, miserable climate may not agree with our London Wombles?

Viewing 6 replies - 721 through 726 (of 1,206 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.