The Lounge

Home Forums WDSA Forum The Lounge

This topic contains 1,168 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Windlesham Don 3 hours, 42 minutes ago.

• Creator
    Topic

onyadon
    Keymaster

The Lounge

I’ve decided to spruce up the web-site a wee bit (even with our new logo – any comments?). Another new feature is the single thread forum, so you can jump on and have your say, ask a question or just read what is being said. As I always say the forum is only as strong as what you make of it, so I would urge you to contribute and regularly to keep it all worthwhile. BTW, if you want to check something in the old forum it is now archived and the link is below… Okay let’s hear from you …

Looking for the old forum? You can view the read-only archived version here.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by  Adam Dodds.
Viewing 6 replies - 703 through 708 (of 1,168 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Windlesham Don
    Participant

Nerves starting to kick in for tomorrow’s big cup match! All the omens seem to be against us: Sutton’s cup pedigree, 4G pitch, Tubbs and Worner in the opposition and Tubbs’ personal cup pedigree.

The pitch could be a massive equaliser and it has to be asked whether ‘plastic’ pitches should be allowed once the league teams join the draw – if they are not good enough for the league then why should they be acceptable in the cup? One look at Sutton’s impressive home record illustrates the advantage it is to them.

I will happily take a place in the 4th round draw and I believe that a draw would not be a bad result for us.

COYD!!

Colum
    Participant

They say absence makes the heart grow fonder. Well today saw the return of Darius Charles, and boy how we’ve missed him. In the first minutes he had muscled a winger off the ball, and headed clear at least three times. Millwall’s goals were defensive errors, but Darius’s overall display made him a favourite for my MOTM award. The fact that it went to LTB, says it all. Lyle was at his best. His control, movement, and cross for our second was absolute class. As was Mr Elliott’s bullet header.

Elsewhere it was another assured performance by Sean Kelly, who’s growing in confidence with each and every game he plays. His left back rival Meades, playing on the left of a midfield four, did OK in an unfamiliar role without looking entirely comfortable. As usual Reeves ran the midfield.

There were some crunching tackles by Millwall, none of which went punished by the ref. One on Barry Fuller in particular should have been a straight red, but we didn’t even get a free kick. In typical Barry style he got himself up and ran the challenge off. A lesser player would still be moaning at the officials.

So one point from the last three games. That’s less that we’d all hoped for, but I’ll take it. These were three difficult games. All we have to hope is that there are no injuries between now and Saturday when we return to where it all started.

liamwimbo
    Participant

Bit quiet on here. Understandable given the last two results and being New Year. And no doubt Rob is busy with the cricket.
    Anyway Happy New Year to all Wombles everywhere. If 2017 can be even half as good as 2016 for the Dons, I will be satisfied.

Windlesham Don
    Participant

Going to be a tough start to the festive fixtures for the Dons with a trip to Phil Brown’s on fire shrimpers. I’m pretty annoyed that the fixture computer has given us two horrible trips between Xmas and the New Year. No trains running today and an early kick off (why?), meaning an unpleasant drive with little parking for those hardy fans who will be making the trip to the east coast. Saturday brings a 250 mile round trip on New Year’s Eve to a hostile ground with the most unpleasant and exposed away terrace in the division (yes, even worse than ours!)

Today I feel it may be too much for us against a side playing as well as any in the division at the moment. A poor showing of Dons can be expected for all the reasons given above, but they will be met by an anticipated full house of raucous locals. Picking up anything today would be a great achievement, but I am expecting a 0-2 reverse.

Saturday will be almost as tough a proposition in another hostile atmosphere. However, there is reason to be optimistic, as the Gas have been running on empty recently and their crowd could turn on the team if we start well. If our recent Port Vale performance doesn’t turn out to be a blip then I feel we could nick a 2-1 victory.

In my opinion, 3 points would be an acceptable return from two tough games.

COYD!!

Colum
    Participant

The transfer window opens soon, but I don’t expect too much excitement. This speaks volumes for where we are as a club. We all remember the revolving dressing room door jokes of days gone past. The fact that we may not see any transfers, shows us all that we have a great squad that capable to achieving our objectives.

Let’s hope they’re well rested, and ready for the challenge of Southend away. That is a difficult fixture, with the home team in good form. But with our belief and away form, maybe we could sneak something. Let’s hope so.

Have a great Christmas everyone.

Windlesham Don
    Participant

I wonderful Christmas to all WDSA members! Liam, I hope we can meet up during the New Year at a match. Pete, I’m glad you managed to get a ticket for Sutton in the end.

Onwards and upwards in 2017 for the mighty Dons!!

Viewing 6 replies - 703 through 708 (of 1,168 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.