The Lounge

Home Forums WDSA Forum The Lounge

This topic contains 1,168 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Windlesham Don 2 hours, 52 minutes ago.

• Creator
    Topic

onyadon
    Keymaster

The Lounge

I’ve decided to spruce up the web-site a wee bit (even with our new logo – any comments?). Another new feature is the single thread forum, so you can jump on and have your say, ask a question or just read what is being said. As I always say the forum is only as strong as what you make of it, so I would urge you to contribute and regularly to keep it all worthwhile. BTW, if you want to check something in the old forum it is now archived and the link is below… Okay let’s hear from you …

Looking for the old forum? You can view the read-only archived version here.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by  Adam Dodds.
Viewing 6 replies - 649 through 654 (of 1,168 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Colum
    Participant

The scoreline didn’t really do us justice. We could, perhaps should, have won by more. Tom Elliott had two good chances, and both our central midfielders had good strikes well saved.

Reeves may have won man of the match, but it could easily have gone to any one of the front three. Barcham in particular had their right back in his pocket all game. It was a joy to watch. Darius also was back to his best, and Robbo is not the same player without him.

As for poor Rom Soares, you can’t help wondering what the management team see in him. He’s far to ponderous, indecisive, and slow. Oh and did I mention that he has the distribution of a spider on acid. The number of times he gave the ball away cheaply was astonishing. Walsall’s best two chances came directly from his mishit passes.

Anyway we move on sterner tests. To be honest, Walsall didn’t really test us until the final five minutes. That won’t be the case in the next two games. Still a win is a win, as is a clean sheet. If we manage to avoid defeat in one of those games, I’ll be happy.

MacWomble
    Participant

Did anyone ever really believe we were heading towards the relegation dogfight? There has been no indication that our mid-table mediocrity was going in that trajectory. Anyone would think that the journalists barred from Spicer’s briefings were suddenly bored enough to cross the Pond and hype up stories of Wimbledon doom and gloom. The 50-51 points are a foregone conclusion, based even on our worst form. That’s it: we are where we are; some good players, some poor players. Nothing to play for really. Hard to motivate the players except for the upcoming fixture against Wimbledon Old Boys. The bigger things are happening off the pitch.

liamwimbo
    Participant

Great match report as usual, Pete, so I echo Robert’s thanks. Despite the loss at Shrewsbury, I got the impression that the Dons had turned a corner, performance-wise, in the previous two games so I was quietly confident of three points yesterday. The return of Charles and Barcham seems to have been crucial. I listened in to the second half on radio WDON. Those final few minutes when they hit the bar were nerve-racking but a vital three points to avoid get sucked into the bottom third of the table. Must give a mention to James Shea. He always seems to pull out at least one good per game and has responded very well to being second choice at the start of the season. So we can feel a lot more comfortable about the Dons playing L1 football next season. COYDs.

onyadon
    Keymaster

Thanks again for the detailed match wrap, it is indeed much appreciated, Peter.
    So the Dons have 43 points, the safety level in 12 L1 seasons is between 50-51 points, so by that reckoning Wimbledon need a minimum eight points, nine points to be sure, from the 13 remaining games.
    There are some tough ones coming up. We are at second-placed Scunthorpe United on Tuesday and fourth-placed Bolton Wanderers next Saturday. Anything from them will be an absolute bonus. But it’s important to keep our form as we seek to get those points we need for safety.

Singapore Don
    Participant

So four points from Gillingham and Walsall, and I think we can breathe a collective sigh of relief that our League One safety now looks a lot more likely. I didn’t post a write-up after the Gills game given the late return and demands of work – but we were well worth our point there, and indeed could have taken all three. It was great to see Lyle Taylor back on the scoresheet, with another goal for our current in form, key man Andy Barcham. The winger has rediscovered his early season form and is on fire, stretching Gillingham’s defence and showing the pace to be able to have a go at “skinning” full backs again. Darius Charles was solid as a rock in defence, but also showed great pace and agility to break out of defence and set up fresh attacks for us. All round, it was a confident and assured performance from the Dons in Kent, off the back of a decent display against Shrewsbury – and should reassure us that we do have the team spirit and grit to secure our League One place for next season.

That seems all the more likely after the three points secured against Walsall. And boy oh boy did we need those three points. Only three points gained against Chesterfield, Coventry, Shrewsbury and Gillingham was beginning to cause concern – thin pickings from bottom of the table teams. So the game against mid table Walsall was a crucial test. And we passed it, if not with flying colours, then certainly with our heads held high. Be in no doubt, we thoroughly deserved the win. If not for their keeper, who made three outstanding saves, we’d have won by more. His saves from an Elliott header and Elliott close range power strike were phenomenal. He also made a stunning save from a long distance shot from Danny Bulman – and how great that was to see us having a shot on goal from way out. We need to be doing that a lot more often. For his part, Bulman had a great game back in midfield alongside Reeves. He was tough, breaking up play, and giving a real steel to our central midfield.

In defence Darius was once again immense. In recent games he’s been so cool and intelligent in the way he wins the ball and then looks to get play going in a productive way. Once against Gillingham he picked the ball up from just outside our box and charged up the pitch before laying off the ball to Barcham just thirty yards from their goal. It was fantastic, and we saw a similar skilful and confident Darius surge upfield from a dangerous defensive position to turn a difficult situation into one of great promise and threat. Really great stuff from Darius. And he stands out all the more since he offers so much more than Robbo who unfortunately is rather prone to route one hoof ball upfield or hoof into the stands every time.

Up front, it was great to see Taylor on the scoresheet again against Walsall, with Tom Elliott having a couple of great goal scoring opportunities and offering plenty of threat throughout the game. But the stand out player for me against Walsall – yet again – was Barcham. He’s hit great form again and makes such a difference for us going forward, taking on defenders, getting the ball in the box, and having his own efforts on goal. He’s our key man at the moment as far as I’m concerned.

The major disappointment against Walsall I’m afraid – yet again – was new boy Soares. He was completely invisible again. I’ve seen him in every game since he joined us and apart from hitting the post/bar against Shrewsbury, he has done nothing to merit a starting place. I genuinely cannot remember a single thing he did in today’s game. He really does seem to be a waste of space, and despite my repeated readiness to give him the benefit of the doubt and prove his worth, he disappoints again. The sooner Dean Parrett is back in the starting line-up the better. Hopefully he’ll be ready for the big challenge of Scunthorpe on Tuesday.

Soares apart, along with some residual concerns about leaky young Kelly at left back, the Dons are looking up for the fight once more. After the Walsall win, these feel like happy days again. We’re in a much better place, having built on the Shrewsbury and Gillingham performances to take the three points we deserved – and we withstood the late Walsall fightback with Shea making an excellent save to keep us in it. We can now go in to the next two very tough away games with much greater confidence – I’ll be at KM to watch the Scunny beamback and I’ve booked my ticket for Bolton to see us hopefully give the promotion contenders a real run for their money. Tonight I feel we can believe again.

Colum
    Participant

A point against Gillingham is the very least I’d have expected. Had we lost that game, the pressure REALLY would ramp up. We’ve got 40 points, so only 10 more and we’ll be at that magical figure. The positives to take from last night were our front men both scoring, the arrival in the squad of both Parrett and Nightingale, and the fact we didn’t lose. Looking forward, let’s hope we achieve the following:

Walsall – 3 points (although that looks tricky)
    Scunthorpe and Bolton – 1 point
    Northampton – 1 point
    The unmentionables – 3 points obviously
    Fleetwood and Southend – 1 point
    Rochdale – 3 points

If we do that we have our 50 odd points with a month of the season to spare.

Viewing 6 replies - 649 through 654 (of 1,168 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.