The Lounge

Home Forums WDSA Forum The Lounge

This topic contains 1,168 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Windlesham Don 2 hours, 42 minutes ago.

• Creator
    Topic

onyadon
    Keymaster

The Lounge

I’ve decided to spruce up the web-site a wee bit (even with our new logo – any comments?). Another new feature is the single thread forum, so you can jump on and have your say, ask a question or just read what is being said. As I always say the forum is only as strong as what you make of it, so I would urge you to contribute and regularly to keep it all worthwhile. BTW, if you want to check something in the old forum it is now archived and the link is below… Okay let’s hear from you …

Looking for the old forum? You can view the read-only archived version here.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by  Adam Dodds.
Viewing 6 replies - 643 through 648 (of 1,168 total)
  • Author
    Replies

onyadon
    Keymaster

Thanks again Peter for another very descriptive report on the Bolton match. Seven points from the last nine (Walsall, Scunthorpe and Bolton) and Wimbledon are well poised to secure their place in next season’s League 1. If the Dons can get a home win over Northampton Town on Saturday (and that is eminently achievable), wouldn’t it be ironic that Wimbledon could clinch their 2017/18 place with victory over …… Franchise? Now wouldn’t that be well received.

Singapore Don
    Participant

Well, well, well, who would have thought it? A point away at high flying Bolton to add to the amazing 3 points at Scunthorpe and 3 at KM against Walsall. If you’d asked me a week ago, I would have predicted one or two points max from those three games. But the results, and performances, show we have turned a difficult corner. We have demonstrated we are a solid League One team, and will be doubtless now be playing League One football next season.

The point at the Macron Stadium was thoroughly deserved. Bolton were on top for the opening periods of both halves, otherwise we were in cruise control. And what sumptuous football we are playing now: neat, attractive, effective passing football, no more of the relentless, dull and aimless hoof ball. It was an absolute joy to watch our football today, the ball worked from Shea to attack through midfield through myriad quick, sharp passes. Ball on the ground. Utterly delightful.

Every single member of the Dons team shone today. Charles and Robinson were rock solid (well apart from the headed goal conceded from their corner!). Meades was outstanding as of bygone days at left back, confident, commanding, attack minded. He slipped naturally and powerfully into the five man midfield when we reverted briefly to 3-5-2 in the second half. At right back, Will Nightingale put in a masterful performance against a very tricky Bolton winger. He was calm, measured and mature in his tackling and distribution – a standout performance for me.

In midfield, Reeves and Bulman were dogged, energetic and a real menace, a joy to watch. Francomb too played a solid role in the middle of the park, if there were moments of miscommunication. His cross provided Tom the chance for his goal. And indeed up front, Elliott and Poleon were a real handful, Dom in particular offering a tricky and pacy threat. LTB picked up that baton when he came on.

Final mention is for Janes Shea: and wow! He made two outstanding saves to keep us in the game, the second an out-of-this-world finger tip touch from a flying save to keep out what looked a dead certain Bolton goal from a direct free kick. It was a stunningly brilliant save, the best I’ve seen this season.

So all round, another great result and more importantly another great performance. Maybe the rehired sports psychologist (if true) is working wonders. Whatever the reason, we have emerged from our frustrating longish dip in form, looking strong, creative, and confident. We look a tough team to beat now. Hopefully we’ll keep this going for that crunch game on March 14th. We’re due to give someone a real spanking; how great would it be to be on that Tuesday night?!

liamwimbo
    Participant

Very pleased you had such a good night out, Dave. Certainly a result to rave about – and one to put the Ardley critics back in their place.
    Just about to fly to KL where I have a stopover.
    Will contact you next week once I’m in the UK.

“I’m coming for you, you Franchise bastards, I’m coming for you”!

Cape Cod Womble
    Participant

Tuesday night in Scunthorpe, no better place to be. It was raining of course when I went to the ground and walked straight into Erik and Eileen Samuelson and Liam’s friend from the club shop (who told me about the time he had drinks with Liam after the Manchester final). They had caught a cab over from Doncaster and were going to have to make a quick retreat after the match back there to get a train back to London. Rob’s name was mentioned in worthy dispatches and I told them about our get togethers in Adelaide and Melbourne.

The game itself was memorable. The team pressed well up front all game. The fans were superb, almost 40 minutes of “Neal Ardley’s Blue and White Army” in the first half and a lot of noise in the second.

A great result and a top evening.

Singapore Don
    Participant

First game I’ve missed in 2017 and sounds like it was the best one so far! Sod’s law. The 3-5-2 was a masterstroke, and with Will Nightingale back it’s working a treat. That is a tall, solid back line that doesn’t need to worry about pushing up: that can be done by the five man midfield. Dare I say it, (and not for pasting on to Twitter Rob!), but we’ve actually looked defensively tighter since captain Fuller has been out. Ouch, sorry! But true. But probably more significant, with Kelly dropped, we look to have plugged a leaking hole down our left. The replacement of our left and right backs has resulted in 7 out of 9 points!!

The other significant change boosting our overall performance was the return of Dean Parrett. He adds a real dynamism and threat to our midfield play. And with a back-in-form Poleon too play off, we had a much wanted, different and effective goal threat up front.

So happy days again, and long may they continue. I’m off up to Bolton on Saturday. More of the same please!

Colum
    Participant

What a great result against Scunthorpe, and a tactical master stoke by Neil Ardley. Playing a back three, with the timely arrival back to Will Nightingale, we restricted them to very few chances. Up front we seem to have recovered our mojo, and can’t stop scoring. Long may it continue.

Viewing 6 replies - 643 through 648 (of 1,168 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.