The Lounge

Home Forums WDSA Forum The Lounge

This topic contains 1,206 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Wimbledon_rumours 4 days, 5 hours ago.

• Creator
    Topic

onyadon
    Keymaster

The Lounge

I’ve decided to spruce up the web-site a wee bit (even with our new logo – any comments?). Another new feature is the single thread forum, so you can jump on and have your say, ask a question or just read what is being said. As I always say the forum is only as strong as what you make of it, so I would urge you to contribute and regularly to keep it all worthwhile. BTW, if you want to check something in the old forum it is now archived and the link is below… Okay let’s hear from you …

Looking for the old forum? You can view the read-only archived version here.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by  Adam Dodds.
Viewing 6 replies - 619 through 624 (of 1,206 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Windlesham Don
    Participant

Just popped in to wish Pete (aka Singapore Don) a happy birthday. I hope the blood pressure has returned to normal levels now that the season is complete! ;o)

Wimbledon_rumours
    Participant

ive been hearing and seeing rumours about ex don callum kennedy coming back after being seen a couple weeks ago at kingsmeadow?

Windlesham Don
    Participant

So the initial release list has been published with few real surprises. Shea, Bulman, Robertson, plus the four youngsters who couldn’t cut it – Oakley, Beere, Gallagher and Fitzpatrick.

Also, strongly looks like Kelly and Elliott will be on their way, although we would like to keep them both.

Intriguing is the undisclosed ‘no future at this club’ group. It wouldn’t be a great leap to guess that Barnett and Whelpdale are in it, but NA’s term ‘few’ seems to suggest another and IMO it can only be Dean Parrett, who seems to have turned out to be not the player NA was expecting.

NA seems confident that he has another keeper lined up and I hope it is a promising loanee with league experience, so as not to dent our budget too much. In particular, I would love us to take Jamal Blackman for a season – a young, 6’6″ Chelsea keeper who has had rave reviews on loan at Wycombe this season (playing alongside Bayo) and who has stated that he wants League 1 or Championship experience next season.

In relation to our budget for the summer, it must be hugely frustrating to have so much of it tied up in players who have no future. Unless we can offload these players then a large percentage of next season’s playing budget will be tied up either on the bench or in the ‘stiffs’!

On the same note, I still cannot understand why we didn’t tie Tom Elliott down to a new deal in January, or if he refused to sign, put him on the transfer list to get some money for him! I do not know the intricacies of his contract, but it looks to me as if one of our most valuable assets is going to leave without us receiving a penny in compensation!

Sadly, it can also now be seen that last summer’s recruitment was a disaster. Just look at the names of those who we spent valuable money recruiting – Ryan Clarke, Chris Whelpdale, Dean Parrett, Dom Poleon, Sean Kelly, Tyrone Barnett and Chris Robertson! Out of this group, Whelpdale, Barnett and possibly Parrett were handed two year deals and all potentially now have no future at the club…

As a club with very limited funds we simply cannot afford recruitment cock-ups like this – we need to get it right over the next three months or a major relegation fight is on the cards for next season…

onyadon
    Keymaster

UPDATE – Neal Ardley on Tuesday announced James Shea, Dannie Bulman, Sean Kelly, Chris Robertson, Tom Beere, David Fitzpatrick, George Oakley and Dan Gallagher have been released. Tom Elliott is considering the Dons new offer but has other offers and a “few other players have been told to move on because they do not have futures at this club”, adding “if they cannot find other clubs, then they will still be Wimbledon players next season.” That suggests they have existing contracts with the club, so figuring that may mean Tyrone Barnett, Chris Whelpdale and possibly Dom Poloen and/or George Francomb.

onyadon
    Keymaster

James Shea has said he is being released. By my count Shea kept 13 clean sheets when he played and stepped in at a time of great defensive uncertainty in mid-September. I can only think that in letting him go, Neal Ardley has someone else (and available) in mind. Some are suggesting Kelle Roos, who supplanted Shea during the second half of last season’s promotion campaign when on loan from Derby County, could be coming back. That depends (purely my hunch) if he is not retained by new Derby manager Gary Rowett, or if he is then another season-loan deal can be negotiated. Then again, he may not even be the one Ardley has his eyes on. Wouldn’t Connor Ripley be a great addition on loan after his sensational performance for Oldham Athletic against the Dons? Eighteen clean sheets in the league in his season loan from Middlesbrough. I understand Tom Elliott is likely on his way back north where his mother is apparently ill and he owns property in Leeds. It is unlikely the club can match what Elliott has been offered. Promoted Bolton Wanderers are said to be his likely destination. Maybe former loanee Micheal Smith or Barnet’s John Akinde could be the target man option. Dons would likely face opposition for Akinde, who was joint top scorer in L2 with 26 goals this season. In Elliott’s absence, Ardley would likely be seeking a tall striker with heading ability to complement his long ball options. Midfield warhorse Dannie Bulman is another who most likely won’t be at Wimbledon next season. At 38, Bully has been fantastic for the Dons, 110 league appearances in three seasons. He may play on elsewhere, but another season in L1 may have been a bridge too far, we’ll never know. Not sure how on the mark this is but also hearing George Francomb, Dean Parrett, Chris Robertson, Tom Beere, George Oakley could be on their way. Apparently Tyrone Barnett and Chris Whelpdale are on two-season deals, so if they are also to go they may have to be paid out after lacklustre seasons. Given the club’s tight player budget that may not be possible, but it depends on what could be negotiated. I’ll drop in every now and then during the off-season with any tit-bits I come across… should be an interesting summer ahead.

Colum
    Participant

I can’t disagree with most of what has been said about the players to go and what should replace them. I’d love to see a passing style of football, but just can’t see it happen. For a start, the KM pitch isn’t good enough, and a direct approach is bound to win more points (if not plaudits) in the long run.

Viewing 6 replies - 619 through 624 (of 1,206 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.